SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Re: Just released an EP.

Post by SimonHirst »

sirvill wrote:Sounds really great - not just the songwriting, but the production is top notch too. Awesome.
Cheers Sirvill!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

:clap:

Do you need my updated rider? I have a penchant for hand squeezed tamarillo's and tequila.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

GrantB wrote::clap:

Do you need my updated rider? I have a penchant for hand squeezed tamarillo's and tequila.
Yes, I'll pass it on to the manager......haha.
Cheers man.

You'll need the orange Grestch, possibly an LP, an ac30, and a Hotcake. I hope that's not the deal breaker....

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

It was going so well. I might rip the guts out of the hotcake and stick a placebo in there.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Apparently placebos are quite transparent too.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

SimonHirst wrote:Apparently placebos are quite transparent too.
Like there's nothing in the chain at all. Amazing. The Klon is a good one.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Si, this sounds amazing. The mix is spot on. You must be really proud.

Someone's already mentioned the name Finn, but I'd say there's a bit of Don McGlashan in your DNA there too bro. Specially in the lyrics.

Hope the fundraiser worked out as hoped!

So what's next? Have you had any airplay on NZ radio?
Nothing to see here.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Miza wrote:Si, this sounds amazing. The mix is spot on. You must be really proud.

Someone's already mentioned the name Finn, but I'd say there's a bit of Don McGlashan in your DNA there too bro. Specially in the lyrics.

Hope the fundraiser worked out as hoped!

So what's next? Have you had any airplay on NZ radio?
Cheers Mike, appreciate you checking it out man!
Yeah, I'm pretty proud of it and it's been pretty awesome hearing quite positive feedback. Here's hoping for good things!
My best mate Matt Reid mixed it and he's done a great job. He really captured what I was aiming for so a huge lot of credit goes to him. Also with Scott Hull mastering it, it's come up better than I could have hoped really. That was a pretty surreal moment, and he was actually pretty complimentary about it which was quite something.
The fundraiser helped raise a touch over half of what I was needing to finish it all up, so that was pretty amazing!
Next.
Yeah, I'm going to send it a few places and am hoping, at least, to maybe get a track on some of the more independent radio stations in NZ for a start. I have a few good friends in the radio business and I've picked their brains about things and basically they've said it can be pretty hard getting on some of the bigger stations so we'll see. I can't see it being picked up by the more Top 40 orientated stations (which is fine) so perhaps look more at the More FM type stations. I have all the material to take it to iTunes now too, so I'll be working on that this week.
The website is starting to look pretty good too which will be awesome to have done.
Once the website is running, it's on iTunes, and the physical copies are here, I'll approach some live breakfast shows whom I've talked to in the past, and see if we can tee a performance up somewhere there. I've had quite a few friends do them, and watched a fair few morning performances and I've always been slightly surprised that quite a number of the performers don't have their 'product' ready at that point. Then the presenter asks, or has to say that the album/EP will be ready at 'some point' later in the year. My theory is, if I can even land a performance spot, that I want all the ducks lined up in a row so that any interest from a performance can lead people straight to the website or EP.
And then there's taking it out on the road a bit hopefully with a band through summer.
Another than those few things, not much planned........haha

P.S Have you listened to Don McGlashens 'Marvellous Year' album? It's really something!

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

GrantB wrote: Like there's nothing in the chain at all. Amazing. The Klon is a good one.
And they're only a touch under 4k on Ebay too......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klon-Centaur-Pr ... 2a587a2499

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Patrick Kuhtze tracking the drums at The Porch.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

PreSonus Studiolive desk/interface. The 'Enz' were always nearby in case I needed inspiration. If you're wanting a mixer for live use as well as an interface for recording I would recommend having a look at these desks. The Fat Channel Pre's are actually pretty nice, and although obviously not as nice as expensive outboard Pre's, they're are a pretty good starting point.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

This is the Mic setup that was used for all the electrics. I had planned on using a Fender amp on a few parts but found I was liking the Vox enough.
Just a standard sm57, and then an Avantone CV-12 side by side. Tracks were blended for whatever suited best. They actually sounded pretty similar, but the CV-12 was a touch more pronounced, especially in the high freqs, which, depending on the sound I was after, was a Pro or Con.

Here are all the pedals used on the EP. Nothing very exciting really. The main board is what I use live. The little one on the bottom left is a Sansamp bass driver and TU3 which was what we used for the bass for a couple of reasons. The little sound room I have doesn't act particularly well with lower freqs, and I don't have a nice bass amp so it was just a bit more practical this way. Can't beat a nice bass amp, but the Sansamp worked out alright.
The RV3 featured pretty heavily in 'Everybody Knows'. Such great pedals. The MM4 was very useful and was responsible for all the modulation sounds. The electric guitars were all tracked with the intent to have very little done to them in the mixing stage. There's very little EQ work, mainly just a Low Pass roll off, some Comp, and some nice stereo Reverbs Matt added to a few of the more ambient sounding tracks, but other than that the majority of the electrics sound exactly as they were recorded.

All the acoustic was the D35. We miced it using the CV-12 and a Blue 'Bluebird' Condenser. I don't have any photos of the mic positioning though sorry.

All the Piano, Organ, and Pad sounds were a Roland VR-700

Will post a few photos of what guitars were used when possible!
Last edited by SimonHirst on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Fender Strat 12 string, only appears on 'Light Of Love' during the chorus, and bridge instrumental.

LP Deluxe

LP Special

Fender P Bass

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

You have some seriously drool-worthy gear so I tip my hat to you. Thanks for sharing the photos, looks like a fun time would have been had by all ?!

Just about to give it a listen now so FWIW I'll report back with my general thoughts. Good stuff MF.