I made a video comparing an amp modeller to a real amp . . .

Lets hear your sound clips...

Moderator: Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: I made a video comparing an amp modeller to a real amp . . .

Post by Single coil »

Maybe I’m just shit but I can’t get digital amp models to sound good :?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Definately cool to have one of these modellers as a backup at a gig, even if the primary source is a tube amp.

Most pub gigs I watch, not a single punter would give a flying toss which was used thou.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

I feel duty bound to chime in....
The comparison Ben gave was on the lowest common denominator and it still stood up to scrutiny. There are plenty of A/B tests out there that have used AxeFX/Kemper/Helix against the exact model of amp, cab and mic as the modeller is modelling. While some people claim to be able to get "100% right" in telling the difference I actually call BS. Coincidence might mean some make good guesses but there is no way one can tell in a mix.

Ironically the best thing about a modeller IMHO is the ability to create original tones that suit the artist. I don't care at all if my "mid crunchy rhythm tone" sounds exactly like a 68 Plexi with 25watt basket weaves etc etc etc. Its all abit naff.

For the record I chose Helix because it has the best user interface.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I sound shit through tube amps and modellers. I like tubes though for nostalgic reasons.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Lawrence wrote:
Ironically the best thing about a modeller IMHO is the ability to create original tones that suit the artist. I don't care at all if my "mid crunchy rhythm tone" sounds exactly like a 68 Plexi with 25watt basket weaves etc etc etc. Its all abit naff.

For the record I chose Helix because it has the best user interface.
I agree completely. It really is a bit naff to spend hours + thousands trying to exactly match something you've never tried, and probably never will.

My ears and brain tell me that I think a 60's Plexi and 4x12 is the ultimate rhythm guitar sound, because Malcolm Young kills with that rig, but I've never played one, and what's more, I've never heard one in the flesh - only on recordings, and it's sure to have added compression, EQ, might be mic'd with multiple mics, etc, etc, etc.

It's pointless to try to match a tone like that perfectly. What matters is getting a sound that feels and sounds good and works well with your band or in your church or whatever.

For me at the moment, that means a combo of a small tube amp, mic'd up, and/or my Sansamp. The two in stereo actually sound as mint as a mint thing.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Ben - as another tech head...I chuckle frequently when I hear anti modelling guys talk about "digital artifacts". Its pointless trying to explain that once a waveform is re converted its as analog as it ever was...
It does seem that most on-line "purists" have probably never heard how harsh a Marshall through a Celestion miced with a 57sounds when soloed in the control room.

Have you read "Mixing with the Mind"? using Stavs hardness scale the combo above is not a likely choice...
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.