Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:
sgt mukuzi wrote:greenys pup was backward easy mod
great stuff BG
Sorry, incorrect.

You can change the wiring which will also put it out of phase but it isn't as pronounced as an effect as the magnet flip. When the pups are out of phase - when both are selected you get get a cancellation of tone happening, so you get quite a nasal sound as you play with the volume controls slightly you get lots of other tones coming through.
Sorry, incorrect.

It makes just as big a difference. But it is slightly different in tonally. :twisted:

I was dabbling with flipped magnets last year. Got sick of the talk and wanted to hear it for myself. I quite liked the effect but not usable all the time. I wanted to keep the trad LP middle pup tone too. Ash fitted a push/pull switch to my black guitar for reversing neck pup polarity so I could use it when I wanted. The out of phase sound is fun but it's actually best backing one volume off a bit. Neck pup say 1-2 notches lower than bridge pup. Then the setting sounds quite bright and strat-ty and makes for a great cut through the mix lead tone.
Sorry, incorrect.

Is there a trad LP middle pup? :P I don't recall yours being 3 pup jobbies?

I prefer the magflip myself, but I rarely use both pups on the LP anyway - unless I want greeney tone...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

bluesgeek wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:
bluesgeek wrote: Sorry, incorrect.

You can change the wiring which will also put it out of phase but it isn't as pronounced as an effect as the magnet flip. When the pups are out of phase - when both are selected you get get a cancellation of tone happening, so you get quite a nasal sound as you play with the volume controls slightly you get lots of other tones coming through.
Sorry, incorrect.

It makes just as big a difference. But it is slightly different in tonally. :twisted:

I was dabbling with flipped magnets last year. Got sick of the talk and wanted to hear it for myself. I quite liked the effect but not usable all the time. I wanted to keep the trad LP middle pup tone too. Ash fitted a push/pull switch to my black guitar for reversing neck pup polarity so I could use it when I wanted. The out of phase sound is fun but it's actually best backing one volume off a bit. Neck pup say 1-2 notches lower than bridge pup. Then the setting sounds quite bright and strat-ty and makes for a great cut through the mix lead tone.
Sorry, incorrect.

I prefer the magflip myself, but I rarely use both pups on the LP anyway - unless I want greeney tone...
Sorry, incorrect.

Of course there is a trad LP middle pup. You move the switch with the little off-white knob on it to the middle position of the three available and a third pickup magically appears betwixt the neck and the bridge pups. Gawd, even the japs managed to fit it to any half decent copy. But you may not be able to see it if you haven't been blessed with the right kind of mojo.
And no, that mojo is not to be found at the bottom of a can of killkenney. :P :P :P

...Greeney..... that's the word I was looking for to describe your tone.... :P ;)

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Capt. Black wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:
Capt. Black wrote: Sorry, incorrect.

Sorry, incorrect.

Sorry, incorrect.

Of course there is a trad LP middle pup. You move the switch with the little off-white knob on it to the middle position of the three available and a third pickup magically appears betwixt the neck and the bridge pups. Gawd, even the japs managed to fit it to any half decent copy. But you may not be able to see it if you haven't been blessed with the right kind of mojo.
And no, that mojo is not to be found at the bottom of a can of killkenney. :P :P :P

...Greeney..... that's the word I was looking for to describe your tone.... :P ;)
Sorry, incorrect.

You mentioned middle pick-up, not middle pick-up selector position :P

:lol:
Tin arse!!