Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Oh my god, I've created a monster :eek:

Post by Bg »

I've just been playing around with the soldering iron and stuff on the valve junior. I originally ordered a couple of mods but cancelled the order as I decided I could get all the bits for the mods anyway ;)

So some of the stuff I've done was to make it more reliable, apparently the design is overpowered for the valve and I've swapped in some better quality components and done some tone mods. Also fitted an 8ohm output so I can run it through my quad ;)

But the main one is to give it an insane amount of gain :eek: I originally put this on a switch but I've moved it over to a pot so I can play around with it ;)

It sounds a bit spanky through the built in speaker now so I'll probably darken it down a bit and put that on a switch as it sounds AWESOME through the quad. And yes its firkin loud! 5 watts of Valve Power through a quad is freakin' great! It sounds and feels to me a bit like a hot rodded JCM800 :eek:

Anyway heres a bit of noodling with the valve junior going through the quad - no effects other than a tiny bit of reverb added in the recording (I can't stand a clean recording!) All the tones are available on the modded junior, I start out clean then move up through the gain control till everything is dimed, when it goes back to clean again thats just on the LP's volume control.

Oh and the noodling is full of warts, just ignore them :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

that's impressive as mate.. seriously all that range just from the volume on the LP? :shock:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yup :) I'm still grinning now, only the missus is back and she reckons 5watts is way too loud :eek:

Time to fit the lightbulb attenuator ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

just imagine how awesome it would sound if it was bolted to another one... or even had a belcat pedal (even better, two bolted together) in front of it *duck*

serially tho - has a way cool sound and range dood... nicely done!
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

rocklander wrote:just imagine how awesome it would sound if it was bolted to another one... or even had a belcat pedal (even better, two bolted together) in front of it *duck*

serially tho - has a way cool sound and range dood... nicely done!
Funny you should say that, I reckon two in stereo would make a useful gigging rig, though perhaps not nailed together....

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

going with *unique*s idea of blu tack huh? I suppose it's more 'modular' that way :wink:
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jops »

Very cool BG! :twisted:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Jops wrote:Very cool BG! :twisted:
He's not BG anymore, according to Rocklander he's now known as *duck*...

Cool sounds though, some of the later, more saturated stuff reminds me a lot of the early dirty channel incarnations of Rob's custom beastie.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Jops wrote:Very cool BG! :twisted:
He's not BG anymore, according to Rocklander he's now known as *duck*...
..or "chuck", as they used to call him oop north...

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

there's no emoticon for ducking dammit..

if there was an emoticon for pouting I'd put it here...
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

:sook: ?

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

:armsfoldedholdingbreathturningbluestampingfeet: !!
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

Good God, Steve, my fingers are numb. Yeah, right now, they're numb. Did I deprive my brain of oxygen?
Konx om Pax

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Haha Schenker riffs...just a hint of wah required....
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I should do it properly really ;) I used to be able to play Lost Horizons :(

The problem I have now is that it sounds wank through the tiddly little 8 inch speaker, but monster through a 4x12 cab. Hmmmm not really the nice little handy practice amp anymore! I might have to build a little cab to go with it, bah!