:D
"Stinky britches, you've got stinky britches"

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Re: A whole new song!! Please "drop" by n listen :D

Post by Some Bozo »

Loving the triumphant Maiden chorus, and great solo. Drums could be tuned a bit higher though. Have to agree about the timing of the doubled rhythms, I figured out a long time ago that when my timing's off on a doubled part it's best not to pan them hard left and right in stereo or you get an annoying effect of the sound whizzing across your head...
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Nice bro... would sound great as a backing track to a 2 player fighting game for PS2
You need to think up a name some muscle bound mutant, and there's your title :wink:
Nice chops btw

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Hey guys.. thanks for the kind words. I've actually been sitting on what I *think* is a better mix... changed the chorus drums a bit, fixed the double tracking sloppiness problem (as far as I could be bothered) and hopefully made the overall levels a bit more balanced...

Feedback please! :D I'm still not very good at this yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

That's very cool. I - like everyone else - loved the ending; it seemed very Sabbath to me 8) I could hear a number of influences in there, but nothing that sounded derivative. I liked it a lot. Some very noice speedy arpeggios in that solo too - well done, that man. :D

Two things I wasn't particularly keen on: the rhythm tone was heavy on the treble and was a bit too harsh for my ears as a consequence; and the bass tone is one I just don't happen to be a fan of ;)

Keep 'em coming dude. 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Yeah, I don't really like that rhythm tone either... I think I had the amp on too soft and the mic ended up picking up all the shrilly highs but not enough of the lows. I'll re-do it when I actually have a proper amp again!! :lol:

As for the bass... do you guys have tips for mic placement etc for recording bass? I'm just running it through my guitar amp, sounds nice and bassy to me in real life but never comes out quite correctly. Or is it just the fact that I'm putting it through a puny guitar amp? Maybe I'll run it through the quad next time :lol: :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Azza
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Azza »

Cool Song. I really like the riffwork about halfway through, and the rhythm all the way through is spot on and not too busy. Good interplay between the parts. The thunder had me looking out the window for the approaching storm!

Yeah the mix isn't the best.... just to add a new one, I thought the lead work was maybe a touch overdrenched with effects.... a bit sparse sounding and could get lost in the mix once you tighten up the bottom end of theother instruments.

Crazy Horse
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Crazy Horse »

Run the bass direct into your computer (i.e. not through an amp) and then compress it hard. If you don't mind shelling out $250, the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver is a bass specific DI box which also gives you amp controls, it's brilliant.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Post by Cdog »

Run the bass direct into your computer (i.e. not through an amp) and then compress it hard
+1
If your recording software runs VST plugins, you'll be able to googlerise a bass amp amp sim for free... but running it through compression will probably do the trick ok. :wink:

If you want to DI your axe for another crack at the rhythm tone digitally... here's a free JCM900 sim plus some extras http://www.simulanalog.org/Gsuite.zip
As a side note I found some excellent free VSTs here: http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com
General recording utilities... the best I've seen for free. About 8 or 9, look for the 'classic' series... really nice compressor, eq, delay, mods and filters etc
:mrgreen: