Here's mine:

Epiphone El Capitan-4 acoustic-electric, 34"-scale:

Image Image

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Although I've been a bassist longer than most of this board have been alive (I even jammed with Noah while it rained for 40 days), I'venever considered buying an ABG. Thought about a double bass briefly, but that was it.

I guess I have this mental image of Mexican bands playing in bad westerns (I love bad westerns, btw) - there's normally a bass in there somewhere.

Can't see this old fart with a drooping moustache and sombrero :lol:
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I've got a double bass with some very mean pickups

don't know about all this acoustic bass guitar business

Post by 1964 »

> "don't know about all this acoustic bass guitar business"

I don't think there are that many worth bothering with for more than practising on the couch.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 360 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

Ive had a couple, not really worth the hassle really, unrealiable for gigs, too quiet playing acousticly with mates, i had a five string el Capitan, and another who knows brand, all gone to the land of samick now.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Post by 1964 »

I can't imagine a B-string on an ABG being much use, especially unamplified. And I think even the best ABGs will struggle to hold their own with two strummed or flat-picked acoustic guitars, even played with a pick.

The El Capitan is supposed to be the best of the cheaper ones and better than some of the dearer ones. A mate has one of the higher-end Cort models with solid-top and cutaway, which he’s very happy with, and is happy to dig in. He hasn’t tried it playing with others though, or plugged-in at volume, for which I think the solid-top is a negative.

I basically got mine for unplugged practise, and for accompanying one or two acoustic guitars and vocals, all plugged in. I intend to de-fret mine too, as I don’t see much point in a fretted ABG.

No big deal if it doesn't work out. I should easily be able to get what I paid for it, even de-fretted.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

Good Lord ... Mariachi Madness! ... can't see a big market for them here.. maybe only amongst authentic Mexican Restaurant bands ;)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

Post by malevolentsparkle »

ive got a made in china cheapie, prety good esp for what i got it for. but what i really want is one of the origainal earthwood ABGs that earnie ball made with the help of Brian Richie (of Violent Femmes fame). it was the first production ABG as far as my research can tell. had a body on it more than twice as thick as an acoustic guitar - that gives it some good volume! only 1000 ever made though so chances are slim. it was based on the Mariachi bass but 4 strings and generally less cheesy looking... ill see if i can find a photo.
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

here you go:

and theres a pic on this page:
http://www.getthatsound.com/song%20page ... r_sun.html
'71 Epiphone EA-250 (JP) or 84' Ibanez Roadstar II -> MXR Super Comp Compressor -> Ernie Ball VPjr -> Bluesberry Hotcake -> Visual Sound H2O V3 Chorus/Delay -> MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay -> '68 Jansen Bassman 50 -> Carvin 2x12 Celestion Seventy80 Cab

Post by 1964 »

That Earthwood might have decent unplugged volume, but that body seems ridiculously large, and unplayable for most people. Pics much appreciated though.

malevolentsparkle
Ashton
Ashton

yup, brian richie is a big man, guess that one of the reasons why they only made 1000 - large acoustic bass playing people is not a huge market