meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by thehenderson »

fretlesses are no good for grindy pick bass through an ampeg stack rock bass

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

Have to agree there. Some things a fretless just sounds wrong for - Grunge, Rock etc... sorry but no, I tried. I was using it for maybe 6 songs out of 50, not worth it. Might have been better if it was a Precision ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Im still alive :)

BG got some pics of this fretless wonder?
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

no, like I say - it went the journey via trademe about 6 months ago.... it felt and sounded good but it wasn't for me :) I prefer having frets on my bass ;) It wasn't a good bass to my ears and I never liked the feel of it so it was no loss :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

True true.

Im waiting for an online poker tournament to start, only 15mins to go!
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

Post by 1964 »

> "Might have been better if it was a Precision"

A guy I know seems to be able to play just about anything on his 70’s Precision Fretless.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

That clip I posted was bassed on my '72 fretless Precision. In order to force myself to learn fretless, I only took that bass to a month's worth of gigs. It was learn it or screw up! That way works best for me - the pressure of playing live can really tame the learning curve.

I no longer have a fretless in my arsenal, as like BG, I just found I had no pressing need for one.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Post by 1964 »

Victor Bailey's new Fender fretless has lines:
http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0196808821

If lines are good enough for Victor Bailey, lines are good enough for me! :D

Post by 1964 »

This is what Tony Franklin had to say in a thread on the FDP about his new Fretless P:

The fretless can be a full time instrument. The new TF bass can sound like a straight ahead classic P Bass, or the "Jaco" sound, and everything inbetween. This puppy growls yet sings. It's versatile but simple, which I love.

The thing is with a fretless, you don't have to slide all the time, "just because you can'. I use it as my main workhorse bass. I can slide if I want to or not. It gives the ultimate freedom of expression.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM06 ... -Bass.html

http://www.fender.com/products/search.p ... 0190085800

Unfortunately, Tony hasn’t got Victor’s good taste when it comes to lines. ;)

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Rog wrote:That clip I posted was bassed on my '72 fretless Precision. In order to force myself to learn fretless, I only took that bass to a month's worth of gigs. It was learn it or screw up! That way works best for me - the pressure of playing live can really tame the learning curve.

I no longer have a fretless in my arsenal, as like BG, I just found I had no pressing need for one.
Hey Rog I want to try a fretless BUT with the addition of changing the lowest string for a high one and then frailing it like a banjo (brushless frailing, IPIT etc) - since you've played banjo do you reckon it would work??? - could need some picks as I reckon it would stuff the nails quickly. That way you could pretty much approximate slapping and popping rhythms if not dynamics - plus with liquid smooth slides.

Fancy doing 'Skewball, Fly around my pretty little miss' and the 'Gower Wassail' song that way - reckon it would be neat!
You can't do THAT on stage!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Ben - you worry me!

One thing worth mentioning is that Leo developed the Precision Bass because fretless uprights were not conducive to actually hitting the correct note at the correct time - hence the name - Precision, allowing players to hit the note accurately evry time.

To a large degree that still stands - people with pitch-perfect ears will have a far better chance of producing notes which are 'close' than the rest of us.

However, I've listened to a fair bunch of excellent jazz players etc and even I can hear the slightly-off notes which are tres common. It must drive the pitch police mad! However, it is dismissed by using the old "close enough for jazz" axiom - which works just fine.

All of that helps in forming my opinion that close enough really is good enough for most of us, therefore I can't get my tits in a tangle if I'm playing fretless and worring about whether my finger is slightly before, on, or after a fretline.

Its just music.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Oooooh that's naughty Rog - next you'll be saying timing is a human mental construct and it's 'feel' that's important after all (as if we did not know that quartz atoms vibrate at a fixed rate), abandoning harmony in thirds and fourths and playing with them wierdo, dope-smoking, sex-crazed fiends callled 'musos' that could not do a decent, hard days work on a steep hill with the wind behind them, all need a good wash and a spell in the armny 'to teach em respect'.

Not like your clean-living, plain-speaking, country music cousins who only gig in 2 or 4/4, sing songs about 'lyin wimmen' and 'complaint sheep' in 3 part harmony and know how to settle an argument cleverly with a fist or gun as soon as 'spittin on a Jackrabbit, bhoy' while keeping the good southern institions of feuding, lynching anyone different and shooting anything that moves at the drop of a hat - Gore is real fun that way!

All this from imprecisely fingered notes eh???
You can't do THAT on stage!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Pino Palladino (that well known italian welshman ;) ) is perhaps best known for his fantastic fretless work during the 80's (Paul Young etc), yet he reinvented himself on the fretted bass and is still just as tasteful :) I like to model myself after him ;)

I've seen some great jazz upright players and I agree that their pitching leaves a lot to be desired at times, yet they are still fantastic players.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Yeah, Pino is A Grade

check out D'Angelo Album, there is a PBass sound for you BG.
apparently there is a Who live gig on DVD with him which is quite good.