How not to destroy bass amp heads.

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

How not to destroy bass amp heads.

Post by Kristie »

Okay, so at a gig, someone you know would like to plug their head into your cabinet, and you say thats fine, and so they hand you the cord to plug into your cabinet, DO NOT PLUG IT INTO YOUR AMP OUTPUT HOLE AND TURN IT ON! (I didn't do it, my bass player did)

If you don't know what hole to plug something in, just ask someone. It's better to ask than destroy something.

:?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

oops...... I blew my amp at a gig once, I decided I needed a bigger sound so made up a nice Y cable for two cabs, wish I'd checked the impedence first.... not recommended 30 minutes before a gig. I managed to repair the fuse with a screwdriver, kitchen knife and a couple of strands of wire :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

bluesgeek wrote:oops...... I blew my amp at a gig once, I decided I needed a bigger sound so made up a nice Y cable for two cabs, wish I'd checked the impedence first.... not recommended 30 minutes before a gig. I managed to repair the fuse with a screwdriver, kitchen knife and a couple of strands of wire :D
His amp was fine after the fuses were changed, but the other persons amp may never work again. $3000 worth.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

big bloody oops...... Clarry could sort it out I'm sure, probably cheaper to have it repaired!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

bluesgeek wrote:big bloody oops...... Clarry could sort it out I'm sure, probably cheaper to have it repaired!
Well I think it is being looked at at the moment, hope it is repairable :cry:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

worst case is you'll have to replace the transformer

It's so funny, half the guitarists and pretty much all the bassplayers I have delt with have no idea how to match impedence on their heads and cabs. What are they, stupid?

And on a similar bass player + heads theme. I still find it rediculous how many bass players turn up to shows without bringing their own heads or full bass rigs. It's like bassplayers think they are somehow exempt from having to own gear or something :S And in anycase, who wants to play through someone else's amp? Someone who's spent all their money on Ipod and homosexuality and doesn't care about their tone

I'm done now :)

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: How not to destroy bass amp heads.

Post by TMG 03 »

Kristie_Amperzahn wrote:Okay, so at a gig, someone you know would like to plug their head into your cabinet, and you say thats fine, and so they hand you the cord to plug into your cabinet, DO NOT PLUG IT INTO YOUR AMP OUTPUT HOLE AND TURN IT ON! (I didn't do it, my bass player did)

If you don't know what hole to plug something in, just ask someone. It's better to ask than destroy something.

Sounds like you could get a really orange tan from doing that.

:P

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

thehenderson wrote:It's so funny, half the guitarists and pretty much all the bassplayers I have delt with have no idea how to match impedence on their heads and cabs. What are they, stupid?
you'd think I'd be exempt having a degree in electronics... but oh no... it seemed like a good idea at the time. Just remember not to trust whats marked on second hand cabs, always check with a meter ;)

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Re: How not to destroy bass amp heads.

Post by Jenesis »

Kristie_Amperzahn wrote:Okay, so at a gig, someone you know would like to plug their head into your cabinet, and you say thats fine, and so they hand you the cord to plug into your cabinet, DO NOT PLUG IT INTO YOUR AMP OUTPUT HOLE AND TURN IT ON! (I didn't do it, my bass player did)

The moral - don't ever let anyone touch your gear. Ever.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Or lend it in any way shape or form

trust me, it ALWAYS breaks when someone else is using it, and the person will probably say "but it would have broken anyway"

pfft

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

thehenderson wrote:Or lend it in any way shape or form

trust me, it ALWAYS breaks when someone else is using it, and the person will probably say "but it would have broken anyway"

pfft
I don't mind bands that I know using it. I was happy to loan my amp to the the glory sea and the actualities at the gig we played with you guys in Wellie recently, simply because I knew neither of those bands would thrash it, as they used about 1/4 the gain I did.

I loaned my Marshall to dude who played in a metal band at a show when his blew up. I nearly broke a bottle on his head when I saw him ream the shit out of it, an attempt climb up on it. Suffice to say, i didn't feel so bad when I broke a string and had to borrow his gat for the rest of the set, and consequently snapped two of his...

MORAL : Trust few, loan less.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Even if the person uses it totally correctly, and it just happens to break when they're using it it'd still cause issues and stuff, and it would still piss me off

but yeah, I lend to those dudes too, and to a bunch of people. But I don't really like to

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

and pretty much all the bassplayers I have delt with have no idea how to match impedence on their heads and cabs.
Pai kori hori - you're cruising' fer a bruisin, dude! :)

As an ex electrotechnology/control systems lecturer and a bassplayer, I certainly have every idea about how to Z-match. In the 45 years I've been playing, I've never had a mis-match problem... mind you, in all fairness, I've hardly ever used anyone else's gear in all that time either!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

A man after my heart,

keepin on matchin