Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 682 times
Been liked: 577 times

Good cab to match with SVT Classic?

Post by TmcB »

Well, the most I'd be able to get my mitts on would be about $1500. I think 'not much cash' is a bit relative I guess but cabs that kick ass with the Ampeg aren't going to be cheap.

More than anything I'm trying to find something that I can pair with my mag for the moment so I'm not damaging the transformer which is why I was thinking cheap for now.

But then I thought I could go for something in one shot that's a definite upgrade from the mag 410t.

Thanks for the info Ryan. I doubt I'll be able to stop myself powering it up with 8ohms just to have a go so at least I'll be able to keep it with it's limits now. Trace Cabs are the heaviest bastards on the planet but you're right, they do sound great.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Re: Good cab to match with SVT Classic?

Post by Pakehendrix »

nzsimon1 wrote:
Pakehendrix wrote:Also a valid point. Though, I wouldn't touch anything Markbass with a barge pole.

?? why on earth not voted best bass amp in the world by the yanks

Because they're characterless, soulless, wang pieces of kit favoured by characterless, soulless wang players who make bad youtube slap solo videos. Though, I am surprised that all Americans voted a single brand the best.

TmcB wrote:Well, the most I'd be able to get my mitts on would be about $1500. I think 'not much cash' is a bit relative I guess but cabs that kick ass with the Ampeg aren't going to be cheap.

The Ashdown ABM cabs are probably within your price range, and they are very good.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Pakehendrix wrote:
nzsimon1 wrote:
Pakehendrix wrote:Also a valid point. Though, I wouldn't touch anything Markbass with a barge pole.

Because they're characterless, soulless, wang pieces of kit favoured by characterless, soulless wang players who make bad youtube slap solo videos. Though, I am surprised that all Americans voted a single brand the best.
hah... sad but true.

Sorry Simon, as much as I'm impressed by the way those Markbass units cut through the mix for their size and weight, they are a tone wasteland.

TmcB - am envious of your SVT Classic.

Seriously though, SVT 410 HLF that Pake mentioned is an awesome cab. I had the 8x10 for a while and wish I'd got the 4x10 instead, just as loud, a little less presence, but more punch, if that makes sense. Also its not an 8x10 which obviously solves some of the mobility issues. I reckon for $1500 and some patience you could get the SVT410HLF, the new made in Vietnam ones can't be much more than that new anyway? we're under $2k last time I looked.

I'm using an Ampeg 4ohm B series 4x10 cab with my SVT3Pro at the moment, think they retail for around 1k @ the rock shop, and its a decent cab. Not SVT410 decent, but good enough, and loud enough. I would recommened it, but seriously, get the SVT410HLF instead, its awesome and I'll be very jealous.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

badmotor wrote:They are on special.
:lol: win
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

Some of the hottest best bass players in the world disagree with you and that is good enough for me

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

nice score Tony
it was old Ian "Pie eater" Jorg from a low hum
so indie cred lives on with the amp

there is some different 4ohm Ashdown ABM cabs here if you want to try them.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Thanks foal, I'd really love to borrow one! I'm thinking either the Ampeg 4x10 or ABM cabs
Yeah, I took the opportunity to ask Blink where the name A Low Hum came from;
"I just grabbed it out of a rolling stone article with the journalist referred to a record label they were reviewing as running with a low hum of efficiency. I laughed as I thought my label did not run with a low hum...and I thought to myself it was a pretty interesting connection of words."
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

no worries
I'm using them Friday night
so after that next session is Tuesday so Sat-Sun-Mon go for it
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

i agree with pake on the mesa-ampeg thing. same thing as mesa-ashdown pairing.

i would say a abm210 along with a 115 deep. should keep the house rumbling for ages!

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by snitchez »

nzsimon1 wrote:Some of the hottest best bass players in the world disagree with you and that is good enough for me
with the emergence of more amp heads in that range, that may very well change soon.

aguilar tonehammer 500 just released which is creating waves, genzbenz streamliner, heck, i didnt even realise it but there is an swr out too.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by snitchez »

oh yes, and the gk stuff. which i just managed to have a go the other day. fantastic!

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by snitchez »

nzsimon1 wrote:

For the Americans to vote anything not American is unheard of

Every owner of a Markbass loves them to bits I hear it all the time
which yanks did. a specific niche? an online site had the bassists from korn as the top 25 bassists of all time. i wonder which group of voters voted that? the ones with the most 'time' on the computers i supposed. this was not a poll for the past 10 years, it was of all time. the korn guy did better than jaco and jamerson i think. did better than bootsy as well.

every owner of a markbass would def love them to bits, thats why they own one right? and those who don't own them anymore probably didnt like them.

i've sold a $7k european spector off to a guy just cause it was voted top bass in the price range one of the years by americans too. that wasnt american built.

markbass. put any bass through it, and it'll sound just like a markbass. some people may like it. some people wont.
and before u ask me again, yes, i've played them in live conditions multiple times.

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by nzsimon1 »

Couldn't be further from the truth the tone variation from the two filters alone is immense without turning any other knob

So much so they released that part of the amp as a pedal
Markbass amps impart no colour to your Bass they make the sound of your Bass louder, if the sound of your Bass is crap to start with then the resultant loud sound will also be crap but louder.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Good cab to match with SVT Classic?

Post by TmcB »

The little Mark ii has got good reviews.

Not really interested in the markbass gear, and it's a bit out of my range, but thanks Simon.

Would the ABM 115 compact be alright along with the abm210, Irvin?

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by nzsimon1 »

I also have this I need to flick want 990 for it http://www.jansen.co.nz/product.php?b=&sku=BRX12