How many of you are first and foremost bass players?

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timi
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Timi »

I play both, but I havent played guitar in a band for ages.

Bass is cool in a band, but can get boring by yourself.

It costs way more to get a good bass rig rather than good guitar rig, and that kinda sucks.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 285 times

Post by Kev77 »

same same ( but different)

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by smallface »

I'm also primarily a bass player. I have to say I prefer bass over guitar playing live, but at home you'll find me with a guitar in hand. Bass by itself can be a bit boring, but htere's nothing like playing bass & locking in with a good band!
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually practised bass at home, yet I feel the need to pick up my guitar whenever I can... I never feel the need to practice on keys, either.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bozie
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Bozie »

I love the bass, its gives a band muscle, and its always satisfying to work with a good drumer (and irritating to work with one thats not up to it).
I played bass for years before crossing over to guitar, doing time about 80/20 in the guitars favour at the moment.
I started on Ibanez but went to Fender, and have never sold my rig - A Heartfeild Prophecy II Bass and BXR 300C amp. That set up cost me about $4000 back in the days when I had money. :?
I want a more versatile head and a 2x10 extn cab, but cant justify it. Sigh.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

I am a bass player. I wanted to be a drummer when I was 9 and my mother said in that tone of hers "I'm not having another drummer in the house!" A few years later I mentioned this to her "I didn't say that..." After 10 years of playing bass, I still love playing. I went and bought the expensive bass rig, the legions of basses, and effects pedals...however I realised effects don't make bass sound any better, and got rid of all 10 stomp boxes.

I'm self taught at guitar and drums etc, but I just can't see myself playing anything else. I bare the brunt of all "dumb" jokes in my band, it's extremely hard work lugging my amp up stairs and have to put up with other bass players begging to borrow my amp.

I go through it all, because I love playing bass.
What are you going to do for a face, when the monkey wants its bum back?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

Got to agree that there is no finer sound than a pure bass tone :)

I wouldn't use effects on guitar either :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Nothing beats Ampeg tone. I once had a SansAmp, but sold it once I realised Ampeg's full potential.

Note to bass players: Go Ampeg.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I didn't keep my sansamp for long either...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

What were your thoughts on the SansAmp?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

It was good at what it was designed for, but just didn't spin my wheels, I ended up buying an old 200 watt HH S/S head, it does everything I need :)

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

chrls wrote:Nothing beats Ampeg tone. I once had a SansAmp, but sold it once I realised Ampeg's full potential.

Note to bass players: Go Ampeg.
I did the same thing, nothing beats an all tube Ampeg, although I am thinking of replacing it.....

Sansamps suck, they sound nothing like an Ampeg and they just sound plain bad. However, if you have a really shitty amp its can at least get a semi decent sound to the crowd.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

I played an all tube SVT-2PRO at Parachute. It was absolutely terrible. I didn't get the sound I wanted out of it.

I'm absolutely thankful I have a 4PRO..maybe it was the fact that I know my way around my 4 so well, but I wouldn't consider using an all tube again after Parachute.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Ampegs can be fine amps, as can virtually every other amp out there. Its just finding one that gives you 'your' voice.

Personally I was glad to get rid of my old VT40.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

All tube has it's time and place for bass, as does solid state. If I was a bass player first and foremost and could only have one amp, it would be S/S, in saying that when i've used my Jansen Bass 75 for anything bass related I've got some great tones out of it =:)
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ