Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stef-k
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Help me please!

Post by stef-k »

One of the bolts holding the bridge on my bass is loose. The bolt threads not into the wood, but what I understand to be called a [threaded metal] grommet. So that's what needs securing.

How would you recommend fixing it?
Toothpicks? Glue? Tape? Professional?

How would a pro fix it?

...Chur

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Re: Help me please!

Post by Ironbird13 »

is it the grommet thats loose in the wood? or the bolt is loose in the grommet?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

stef-k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stef-k »

The grommet is loose in the wood. Bolt to grommet is fine.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Ash would be the real person to advise here but if it were me I'd coat the grommet with epoxy, fit it back in the wood and leave it 24 hours to set - after all the grommet is supposed to serve as a solid non removable anchor for the bolt holding on the bridge. Alternatively you could completely fill the hole with dowing and epoxy, then redrill so the grommet fitted tightly agian, but that would take a fair amount of skill/equipment.
You can't do THAT on stage!

stef-k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stef-k »

B45-12 wrote:Ash would be the real person to advise here but if it were me I'd coat the grommet with epoxy, fit it back in the wood and leave it 24 hours to set - after all the grommet is supposed to serve as a solid non removable anchor for the bolt holding on the bridge. Alternatively you could completely fill the hole with dowing and epoxy, then redrill so the grommet fitted tightly agian, but that would take a fair amount of skill/equipment.
Thanks for the suggestions. If I do do it myself the boyfriend would be assisting with anything more complicated than toothpicks.

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

Toothpicks should work too :)

stef-k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stef-k »

So I'll probably get my boyfriend to drop it into Mojo on Friday. I've emailed them for a quote.

I really wish I had a case for it now...