Bass guitar for ~1200 (for a bandmate)

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

RuBear
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Bass guitar for ~1200 (for a bandmate)

Post by RuBear »

The bassist in my band is looking to invest in a new bass (or second hand), hes into his funk style playing.

Any you can recommend? I know next to nothing about basses, so could use some help.

Also he says he likes the look of a musicman, whatever that is ^^

Cheers

Funk & steinberger seem to go well together ~ mod
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Bass guitar for ~1200 (for a bandmate)

Post by snitchez »

wait for fleas bass to hit the market. if he is into bright colours that is. =)

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

PM timi on the forum, he knows lots. Stringrays make great funk basses, same with jazz basses. Ask timi he'll tell you where to get them cheapest

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Ya Stingrays are awesome, but I thought the price was kinda up there?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

New and primo ones are. I've seen one nabbed for $800 though. Needed a good hard clean up.

I'm impressed that we've got this far without someone suggesting a P-bass!

I like Stingrays much better myself. Maybe theres a MM Sub or OLP Stingray in the worthy category?

Ibanez ATK is a great value funktastic bass. One of my customers got one as a backup and it totally supplanted his Modulus Flea bass!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by snitchez »

i would agree with ash about the atk. one of the best ibanez basses in the mid range out there. there is a nice black one on tm atm i believe

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Timi imported a stingray recently for not thaaat much brand new, so it's still doable I believe

A P-Bass won't give you any modern scoopy funk tones

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Ash, I think some fo the OLP stuff is really good - I played a 5 string OLP in Dunedin Cashies (before they collapsed in a smelly heap) and it was truly great...to play...not sure about pups as no amp worthy....this falls into the "should have bought but didn't like a f-wit".....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

The P-Bass just dont work for funk. Its the neck shape that gets me, tho theres bound to be more to it than that.

These days you pretty much see Flea playing Jazz basses. Claypool plays a jazz pretty often too. Marcus Miller, Larry Graham, all about the Jazz bass.

I haven't had any more than a twiddle on a musicman in a shop, so I can't give an honest opinion, but you can't go wrong with a Jazz.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Funk as a style or genuinely playing Funk music.
if it's the latter then it's the feel you project not the instrument your holding.

St James the godfather of funk bass played a P Bass with flatwounds, and I reckon Chuck Rainey and Willie Weeks both played some serious funk. Shit what about Duck Dunn?

Musicman's are pretty much one trick pony's but that can be good news if you want to get into some righteous thumping.Cop Louis Johnson spanking "Stomp". And if how the instrument looks is high on the list of priorities genre wise it's a really safe choice.

Personally I do like active humbuckers for Funk sets because it gives you a lot of onboard options (ala STEINBERGER).
But if it's a recording session it depends on the day.Often passive instruments "sit" better in the context of the complete song. Your bass man needs to get out and try stuff. Case in point is WARWICK is a popular brand for players in the funk field, yet for the most part I don't like them. He's got to sort what is his go .

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

For $1200 you might get a used Stingray if you are lucky, if thats your thing. I find them really nice and easy to play but they have a distinct tone that might not fit some stuff.

A Fender bass is a safe bet and you could probably get a USA made one used for your budget. Personal preference between the Precision or Jazz. I used to like Precisions more but I find the Jazz tone fits what I do better, and you can roll off the bridge pickup and almost sound like a Precision if you want. I like both necks too but I think I prefer the fatter P bass neck, most people are the opposite though. Don't get a PJ, it would be rude.

Or you could get a Warwick or Ibanez and slap it while wearing slacks.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

for$1600 if that Growler on TM has been looked after is a snip.
these are way cool, although someone may have changed the pick up. (I thought they came with Bartolinis...)

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Thanks all, will forward this link to the dude (hes a bloody hippy, so might not check his emails for a while)

Much appreciated.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by snitchez »

i actually like pjs. =)
1600? which one is that? the one that is going for 1400? offer him 1200. he might bite.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

er the Tobias. maybe he's dropped the price, when I look a pie it was $1600 w/ $1800 bn

there cool with the big Bart Bucker... bad booty being best bass baby