Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Re: Philip Kubicki - Factor Basses

Post by bender »

ash wrote:It sounds like you're confusing design with styling. Contrary to the beliefs of every teen fashion-school graduate or interior decorator, they aren't the same thing. :lol:

Sure the Kubicki is funny looking, but you can be assured they do work very well. Almost every comment you'll read is about how the thing looks, not how it functions. It's really easy to make things that function better than the classic designs, but unless they look right its game over and that can be a real shame.

Actually I was bundling the 2 concepts together. To me good design combines form and function. Show me a design with innovative function that doesn't look like a futuristic robot potato and I'll be impressed. The historic designs have become iconic and defined what people expect to see when they think of an electric guitar. It's pretty hard to fight that.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

nothing against Stu but often it's like why?
why spend all that time "getting good" and then play uninteresting music?
I guess I condescendingly feel it's chops before taste.

Jenesis says no to an Urge?

anyway good on Kubicki for taking the Steinberger design and putting his spin on it.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

ash wrote:It sounds like you're confusing design with styling. Contrary to the beliefs of every teen fashion-school graduate or interior decorator, they aren't the same thing. :lol:

Sure the Kubicki is funny looking, but you can be assured they do work very well. Almost every comment you'll read is about how the thing looks, not how it functions. It's really easy to make things that function better than the classic designs, but unless they look right its game over and that can be a real shame.
Yeah, and warthogs are ideally suited to their home environment and function very well indeed, too. Doesn't mean I have to find them attractive. ;)

Industrial design, which is what we are talking about here, IMO, is about mixing looks with function. So it's fair enough to comment on both sides of the equation. Personally, what I dislike about this bass, when it comes to looks, is the apparent indecision between the smooth curves and the jagged edges. It looks like someone took a couple of bites out of the body.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Vince wrote: Personally, what I dislike about this bass, when it comes to looks, is the apparent indecision between the smooth curves and the jagged edges. It looks like someone took a couple of bites out of the body.

Sounds like you are refering to the Orchid

Or maybe the fretless Equinox

8)

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

dayl wrote:Sounds like you are refering to the Orchid

Well, that design isn't afraid to draw a line in the sand. I'm not crazy about it, but I have more respect for it.
dayl wrote: Or maybe the fretless Equinox

8)
Not sure about that.

I like it, but I've kind of seen it before.

"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Yeah, its meant to be more ergonomical & functional than looks.

It looks like a slab of liver or a liung or something. 8) 8)