Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Headless Bass...

Post by Bg »

Had a mess around with a headless bass at cash convertors, newmarket - can't remember the brand!!!! Argh, premature alzheimers!!!! Honestly though, my short term memory is shot :P

Anyway, it was a through neck/body style, in wood, felt nice and they want $550 for it. What do you think? How much are those double ball strings for a bass? I guess the ones on there are about 10 years old, so should just be coming right :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

Don't Steinberger have a patent on the headless bass/guitar?
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Aaaarghhhhh - one of my pet hates - headless basses/guitars... brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I suspect its 'made under license' from steinberger. I just like the look of it because its different ;) So what do you hate about them Rog?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Adz

Post by Adz »

Go the 6 string basses!!!!

Champers
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Champers »

my friend brought a headless bass from cashies a while ago, i think it was modified into a headless bass rather than starting life as one. either way it sounded like rubbish and a couple of weeks later he went and got a normal one. i kinda get the impression headless guitars are gimicky thing, fun for a little while till the novelty wears off

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

those square ones?? :shock:

Rog

Post by Rog »

I've played a Steinberger and a Cort. The tone wasn't to my liking and they just look kinda dorky!!

Sorta like dating the town bike - you hope no-one sees you doing it!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

moody

Post by moody »

Are you sure it needs double ball end strings? Many non-steinberger headless basses use regular strings. They should be readily available from webstrings or juststrings - any of those.

They take a bit of getting used to but are playable and really good if you are having back or arm problems.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, double ball end - I checked :( still, how often am I going to change them ;) and it does sound nice and looks good!

Might pop in Friday and see if its still there, OH NO! GAS ATTACK!!!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Temptation was too much - it needed a good setup and I had to give the trussrod a tweak but it feels fantastic compared to the Ibanez and I've got the action set right down as far as it will go and it doesn't buzz. Rog will hate it because its headless and natural woodgrain. I'm thinking about taking the lacquer off and just giving it an oil finish ;) It actually balances really well too, a Hohner 'The Jack' with Steinberger licensed headless bits, EMG Selects and a locking 3 pin input socket - won't be pulling a cord out for a while ;) (plus of course I got $50 knocked off for cash....)

Family album pic :D

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Man! that is a cool looking Bass.
Hohner make good guitars.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I couldn't resist it - its way better than the Ibanez - only got 3 knobs instead of 8! and its MX5 friendly, fits in a strat hardcase and goes behind the headrests even though its a long scale :) Could have got that Bassman after all! I reckon I got a lot of bass for the cash and its probably the only bass I'll need for awhile - though I suppose I should get a P or Jazz at some point ;)

Was a bit worried about the double ball strings, but, lets face it, I won't be changing the strings unless they break - which is doubtful ;) I love the steinberger system too, it seems a lot more precise when tuning.

Haven't tried it in anger yet - haven't got the bass amp at home but it sounds much better than the Ibanez through the POD. Practice tomorrow afternoon will be time to crank it up and do an A/B with the Soundgear.

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

The Steinberger system is excellent. My 6 string just never goes out of tune.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Rog

Post by Rog »

BG - your ONE saving grace is that you have a Strat - otherwise I'd have to write you off my Xmas card list - LOL :twisted:

Hey, I don't like it, but who the hell cares? like everything, its you who has to like it, not me! Hope its all you expect, mate!