Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

DarkPhoenix
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Running a bass into the PA.

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Can you plug a bass and distortion pedal, using a DI box, directly into a PA system?
"Is that a paper bag you're wearing?"
"I seem to have misplaced my pants."

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Running a bass into the PA.

Post by sambrowne »

Yes you totally can. Why more bass players don't do this, I don't know. Get a sansamp bass driver DI and you've basically got a good sounding, tiny little amp to plug into the desk.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

sambrowne wrote:Yes you totally can. Why more bass players don't do this, I don't know. Get a sansamp bass driver DI and you've basically got a good sounding, tiny little amp to plug into the desk.
+1 and FTW

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
sambrowne wrote:Yes you totally can. Why more bass players don't do this, I don't know. Get a sansamp bass driver DI and you've basically got a good sounding, tiny little amp to plug into the desk.
+1 and FTW
-1 FTL, why more guitarists don't just buy a pod and run into the desk, I don't know :lol:

Every time I've run into straight into the desk, using a sansamp, I've hated it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

yes you can, but what BG said.

Nothing pisses me off more than a sound guy who wants to put a DI box infront of my amp, why would I bother lugging an Ampeg SVT along if I didnt want to share *that* sound with the crowd?

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I love the ampeg heads that have di out. They're everyone's friend.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

DarkPhoenix
Ashton
Ashton

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Hm, I'd like to keep using my Jackhammer cause I like the sound it produces with bass - could I run an ordinary DI box after it?

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Yep
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

war-wolf
Gibson

Post by war-wolf »

you'll need some sort of emulation though,a dist pedal straight into the desk is kinda like a metal zone thru your stereo...fuckin awful.if you like the sound you have,make them mic it up...it is their job after all. :D
Moser 10- BCR ironbird custom 7-Gibson Voodoo sg-
Sunn O)))model T - SunnO))4x12"-EHX Cathedral-EHX POG2-digitech EX7-boss rc2-ibanez de7-
Marshall jcm 800 silver jubilee combo(2558)-Blackwidow 15"

DarkPhoenix
Ashton
Ashton

Post by DarkPhoenix »

war-wolf wrote:you'll need some sort of emulation though,a dist pedal straight into the desk is kinda like a metal zone thru your stereo...fuckin awful.if you like the sound you have,make them mic it up...it is their job after all. :D
I'm playing in an 80s hardcore band. As long as it's loud, I don't care how shit it sounds.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

BG wrote: -1 FTL, why more guitarists don't just buy a pod and run into the desk, I don't know :lol:

Every time I've run into straight into the desk, using a sansamp, I've hated it.
I like to feel the stage floor rumble when I play, if I don't have that then it's just not the same. I tried the no amp thing exactly once and I hated it, it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at a gig.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Yep, totally works.
Actually just tried it for the first time last night, trying out new bass player, plugged him straight into PA, sounded alright aye. (I suggested running through his (too small) prac amp first to give a bit of flavour (they were in too much of a hurry, not listening, lol), but sounded pretty ok straight)

I think the big thing to watch though is the quality of the PA. My personal gat rig is POD/PA and sounds f**in' awesome, but when trying to plug into some other (eg in-house) PAs it's sounded completely rat-shit, other times passable. It all boils down to the quality of the PA (can't get sweet sounds out of a piece of sh**, PA or otherwise) AND ESPECIALLY who the monkey is twisting the knobs on it (honestly, some of these guys are as thick as the proverbial!). If it's a decent PA and used properly, there's no reason anything you plug into it shouldn't sound sweet as.
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

RUDENBARK wrote: It all boils down to the quality of the PA (can't get sweet sounds out of a piece of sh**, PA or otherwise) AND ESPECIALLY who the monkey is twisting the knobs on it (honestly, some of these guys are as thick as the proverbial!). If it's a decent PA and used properly, there's no reason anything you plug into it shouldn't sound sweet as.
Bit risky leaving everything in the lap of the gods though. Another good reason for bringing your own amp: at least you know what you are getting.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Vince wrote:
RUDENBARK wrote: It all boils down to the quality of the PA (can't get sweet sounds out of a piece of sh**, PA or otherwise) AND ESPECIALLY who the monkey is twisting the knobs on it (honestly, some of these guys are as thick as the proverbial!). If it's a decent PA and used properly, there's no reason anything you plug into it shouldn't sound sweet as.
Bit risky leaving everything in the lap of the gods though. Another good reason for bringing your own amp: at least you know what you are getting.
YES!!!! DEFINITELY!!!!
I've never been caught out luckily - well actually, not luck, thinking ahead, lol.
(No, I lie, got caught out ONCE - "Got a spare amp, just bring your gat". Yep, sounded shit, lesson learnt)
Been a small handful of occassions where (after finding out my set-up) I've been told just to bring gat, plug into the system, etc. I've always AT LEAST brought all my gear anyway, just in case, and more often than not been VERY thankful I did.
More often than not though, had more problems with the guys that THINK they know what they're doing but in reality are pretty clueless when it comes to setting the sound up rather than the actual equipment (though frequently get shit operators AND equipment, lol).

So yeah, SHOULD be able to get a good sound. But like you say, DON'T RELY ON IT. (unless it's your own gear etc)
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Vince wrote:
BG wrote: -1 FTL, why more guitarists don't just buy a pod and run into the desk, I don't know :lol:

I like to feel the stage floor rumble when I play, if I don't have that then it's just not the same. I tried the no amp thing exactly once and I hated it, it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had at a gig.
+1 FTW, if you can't feel the bass, whats the point? and trousers flapping in the bass wind is always a good feeling :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.