Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sonicfantom
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Fretboard material?

Post by sonicfantom »

Personally I love Rosewood fretboards, but that's just me. It's just... kinda... fuller? Not saying that maple sounds thin, but it's... direct? How do I say this?! It's softer to my fingers, as well.

My acoustic/electric (okay, not much choice to be had here) and my J-Bass both have Rosewood fretboards.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Talking mostly about basses here, though it's probably a similar thing for most elecs as well.
slash-ed wrote:Sigh it's bullshit that we have to live in a world where tortoiseshell isn't real tortoise shell, zebra pickups aren't made from zebra, and the Dusk Tiger is a goofy ass guitar, not a goddamn ninja tiger that appears only at dusk... to eat your FACE. :(

Benrocky
Gibson

Re: Fretboard material?

Post by Benrocky »

This should answer a few questions for you

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... d+vs+maple
RuBear wrote:
You mean that it's ME that's responsible for you coming here? I'm feel sincerely guilty for putting the rest of you sods through the experience that is Benrocky.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69250680@N07/

sonicfantom
Ashton
Ashton

Post by sonicfantom »

Well, i wanted to know what everyone else thought about fretboards, but that looks interesting as well :D
slash-ed wrote:Sigh it's bullshit that we have to live in a world where tortoiseshell isn't real tortoise shell, zebra pickups aren't made from zebra, and the Dusk Tiger is a goofy ass guitar, not a goddamn ninja tiger that appears only at dusk... to eat your FACE. :(

GTBD7
Stagg
Stagg

Post by GTBD7 »

I've always preferred Maple over rosewood, My Conklin has a purple heart fretboard which I also prefer over rosewood, Personally for me rosewood gets to slimy from sweating after playing for a while.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I'd say that there is much more going on between guitars than the fretboard that one would have to hear the guitar with fretboard "X", remove it, glue a new fretboard on...all within 10 seconds...play the same riff and then check the difference. There is intellectually probab;ly a difference but other things will play more of a role...especially between "similar" fretboards.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I much prefer the look of rosewood and ebony, maple seems to get icky looking over time, altho' I've never owned a full maple necked guitar before so am keen to experience it with my next guitar :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

cwco
Stagg
Stagg

Post by cwco »

Wenge fretboards look great, really open pored. I have a new ebony fretboard and it produces a really crisp tone. Really intense highs, but doesnt favour the lower end which is dissappointing.