Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kev77
Mr Echo
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 285 times

why I would stray.,.,

Post by Kev77 »

I've been a fender guy from the start ( adam clayton in rattle and Hum.,. game over for me)
Lakland basses, sadowsky and mike Lull et al. it's close enough to still be essentialy a "fender guy"
BUT.,.,
I would for real cross the line for a Gibson non reverse firebird II bass. those are some frickn sweet lines.
anyone here played one? i just seen picks and wondered if theyre all that?
what would you switch for?
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: why I would stray.,.,

Post by Vince »

Sometimes I think I would leave ABG for a semi-acoustic. Something nice with F holes.

But when I have the desire I don't have the money and when I have the money...
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

To stray I'd need to have a firm preference, but I don't...I prefer humbuckers over the strat style single coils, but then I really like P90s....I heard guys play some cool shit on strats, and Gibsons, and Jacksons...on second thoughts, don't think I'd have an Ibanez...except for an SZ series, maybe...hmmm,

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Had my Fender Jazz bass for 15 years now - bought with my 1st student loan payment. had an Ibanez for a while as a 2nd bass, but it never really clicked for me. Played a few P basses but the neck never seems to fit right in my hand.

Those Gibson Thunderbirds do look cool, and that all white one that ASH made years back could tempt me, but the only real contender would be an old Rick. One day and all that... till then more than happy with the Jazz bass.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

jimi wrote:Those Gibson Thunderbirds do look cool, and that all white one that ASH made years back could tempt me, but the only real contender would be an old Rick. One day and all that... till then more than happy with the Jazz bass.
You have to grow big muttonchops to play a Rickenbacker bass and drink a bottle of whiskey a day, don't you? :P
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

I've found those ricky basses to gumby to play.,. I cant beleive that mani from the stone roses could just
own his and be so dam funky in the process,,
but alas I'm not drawn to the ricky -
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

I have a stingray and it's great for our stuff but if I had to have one bass for life it would be a Fender Jazz. In archetypal guitar terms, it's like the gibson les paul AND the Fender strat in one. It's just unbeatable.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

sambrowne wrote:I have a stingray and it's great for our stuff but if I had to have one bass for life it would be a Fender Jazz. In archetypal guitar terms, it's like the gibson les paul AND the Fender strat in one. It's just unbeatable.
Too true Sam, too true.

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

agreed, but - I cant dig a jazz unless it has the block markers,.,(goldmember says "in dat veird?"
I gots me a 75 reissue jazz with the block markers,,, mama

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I'd completely disagree with the LP/strat combo comparison with a jazz...but what would I know.

Those Thunderbirds are pretty cool to play, but I've never been whelmed in any way by their sound - neither here nor there, really. Only exception was the Cure's 2005 'Curefest' DVD - the dude's rig sounded awesome.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 775 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by Miza »

Yep, you can't beat Fender basses. They just sound better.

A mate used to have a Epiphone Jack Cassidy (?), its a gold hollowbody thing. Looked awesome, but I always thought it sounded muddy.

The bass player I play with at the moment uses a 5-string Fender P, but just bought an Epi Thunderbird with active PUs. Sounds really nice actually, probably better than the Fender. Perhaps the active pickups cut thru better than standard HBs on a bass?
Nothing to see here.

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Errr. Adam Clayton in the Rattle & Hum movie... this may not help your cause :)

Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Stingrays and jazz basses are cool and have their place fo sho, but I can't go past the growl of a precision. I find Jazz basses a bit 'seinfeld' in comparison.

Speaking of which, anyone got a nice p bass pickup they wanna sell me?
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

I've been a Ibanez SDGR guy since I started, but am thinking if that was stolen, I might try a Fender, or G & L style on to see how they fit. Adam Clayton is seen sporting a Zon (Entwistle?) bass on the latest DVD, but yes, the P bass is his signature...
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

if i were looking for a jazz i'd pilage
http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/

not to mention mr clayton's warwick sig bass.,., thats just wrong with a capital samick