Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Open back bass combos

Post by thehenderson »

What are some open back bass combos? I assume they're not really made anymore but what are some older ones, or ones that have been appropriated for guitar use?

Does anyone here use an open back combo for a bass amp? Loving the tones coming out of my Carr Mercury, a blackface fendery thing, with bass. Works great if you want it bassy but not too bassy.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Open back bass combos

Post by thehenderson »

I should say, I have no real idea about bass amps. Are there a whole lot of small, boutiquey bass amps that are sort of 50s or 60s styled? I know there are a lot a lot of super modern, nu as bass amps, but I'm more interested in older style ones. Is buying a low wattage tube bass amp for bedroom practice, so you can get right on the verge of breakup a thing? Or do most bass players like their bass totally spanky clean?

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Ah so many solid state bass amps. Scary shit.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Where is Daza anyway?

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Jansen 50s with those gigantic old Duo boxs running 2x12" Plessey speakers. There's your sound right there.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Sounds awesome! hehe.

So according to the internet bass amps are very different to guitar amps. In that most people aren't into vintage style low wattage tube bass amps. There seems to be way more in terms of hifi, modern bass amps. Or GIANT old tube bass amps. There are so many boutique tube guitar combo options made for apartment and recording use but not for bass. So much solid state stuff.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Jenesis wrote:Where is Daza anyway?
cheers Henderson
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

adrian0476
Ashton
Ashton

Post by adrian0476 »

Love bass amps with valve pre-amps and solid state main amplification. Hate bass amps with entirely valve signal path. Sound muddy and crap. Currently playing a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. Can get up to 600 watts (currently only 300 with a single 12") and weighs almost nothing. No point breaking your back these days when technology's caught up.
Not a fan

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

So is 'authentic 60s bass tone' something that people just don't want or something? No way are you going to get very accurately old style bass tones out of something with a solid state power amp!

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

thehenderson wrote: No way are you going to get very accurately old style bass tones out of something with a solid state power amp!
your home hi-fi system doesn't seem to have any problems doing that does it?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

thehenderson wrote: So according to the internet bass amps are very different to guitar amps. In that most people aren't into vintage style low wattage tube bass amps.
Low wattage amps are kind of pointless because the (very rough) rule of thumb is that, if you're going to play with others, you will need about 3x the wattage of the guitarist (guitars cut through the mix better)

The concept of "vintage" doesn't cut much ice with bass players. Not to the buzzword extent that it is a for guitar amps.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I've had both of course and lots of 'em and have had a preference for SS bass amps since the mid '70s. The very last thing I want to hear from my rig is distortion. Nowadays the very last thing I want from my gear is a more fucked back!!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Most bass players have sought after bigger and better right from the start, especially in a live performance situation. Bass playing tends to be cleaner and depend more on player control and dynamics, so it's really just about amplifying as cleanly as possible.

If you really want the authentic 60s sound, go for either the Tech21 VT Bass, or a Catalinbread SFT at 18V. The famous motown sound came from old Ampeg B-15s, which were tiny (25W) and impractical for anything other than studio work. The VT Bass is a fantastic emulation that gets you basically the whole way there, without the drawback of a lack of power.

I also suggest a closed back 1x15. Even those new Fender amps do a suitable clean, and you could easily chuck an SFT or VT Bass in the front end of one of those for sweet vintage tone.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

rocklander wrote:
thehenderson wrote: No way are you going to get very accurately old style bass tones out of something with a solid state power amp!
your home hi-fi system doesn't seem to have any problems doing that does it?

This is my favourite post, and wish to stuff it up cork-sniffers' noses.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I genuinly don't understand that comment. Please spell it out to me like you would to a child.

Sounds like you're saying that when you listen to a recording on a solid state stereo you can't hear the different between a valve amp and a solid state amp. If that's what you mean then I think you'll find very few people on NZG are hearing what you're hearing.