Polar Bear
Burns BHM
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: Open back bass combos

Post by Polar Bear »

rocklander wrote:
Pakehendrix wrote:So in that regard, I think it's far more important to get the right 'preamp' sound, and consider the power amp to be the loudness factor, not the character - I am 99% certain that this has been the way since the 1960s, too - because the B-15 was always considered underpowered. Which is why I agree with the sentiment that a solid state power amp is going to have very little effect on the 'authenticity' of your tone.
this is where I was headed with my statement.
"I'm not going to get that authentic 60's sound from a solid state power amp" huh? how'd you hear it in the first place? you weren't around in the 60's to hear it, so I made a huge leap of assumption that you'd listened to that authentic 60's sound via a solid state amp. get the sound you want via the devices that colour it (pre-amp should do it in this case), then amplify.. or stand closer to it.
Understandably, I think Mark likes the idea of sticking with valves, as SS amps perhaps have a stigma he's unwilling to deal with. With that, I'll once again mention the Jansen Bassman.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Polar Bear wrote: Understandably, I think Mark likes the idea of sticking with valves, as SS amps perhaps have a stigma he's unwilling to deal with. With that, I'll once again mention the Jansen Bassman.
for bass??? it'll never work...

Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

In more serious news, I've used one for bass. They have a nice subtle rumbling overdrive that's very pleasing when turned up.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

I sometimes use my Bassman 50 for bass, sounds fantastic.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I feel like maybe we're all talking at cross purposes here...

I disagree with a bunch of you guys, guitar amps and bass amps are the same thing for me. In both cases I want the amps to add heaps of the character to the sound, even when it's clean I want it to compress heaps in a tubey way and for it to sometimes fart out or distort and get up to shinanigans in general. I've found with guitar that solid state amps don't do that for me in a way I like, maybe it's different for bass, but I don't understand why it would be?

If I wanted it to just sound clean and bassy I'd DI it I guess.

A bassman 50 sounds great for bass but it's too loud for bedroom if you want it to give you a cranked tube sound. I'm genuinely surprised to find that there isn't really a market for small vintage style boutique bass combos like there are for small vintage style guitar combos.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

thehenderson wrote: I disagree with a bunch of you guys, guitar amps and bass amps are the same thing for me.
Well, ok, then...
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

thehenderson wrote: I'm genuinely surprised to find that there isn't really a market for small vintage style boutique bass combos like there are for small vintage style guitar combos.
Surely that tells you all you need to know. If people thought it was important for bass, they'd be there?.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Actually just remembered that Ashdown do a low power all tube head....

Although I think it's still 30 watts....

adrian0476
Ashton
Ashton

Post by adrian0476 »

So is 'authentic 60s bass tone' something that people just don't want or something? No way are you going to get very accurately old style bass tones out of something with a solid state power amp!
Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to. Personal preference is that I don't like shitty 60's bass tones (or shitty 70's bass tones for that matter). My Stingray sounds fantastic through the Genz Benz and although I've never tried it, I'm pretty sure I could overdrive the preamp section and roll off all of the top end if I wanted to sound like shit.
Not a fan

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

adrian0476 wrote:
So is 'authentic 60s bass tone' something that people just don't want or something? No way are you going to get very accurately old style bass tones out of something with a solid state power amp!
Perhaps, but I wouldn't want to. Personal preference is that I don't like shitty 60's bass tones (or shitty 70's bass tones for that matter). My Stingray sounds fantastic through the Genz Benz and although I've never tried it, I'm pretty sure I could overdrive the preamp section and roll off all of the top end if I wanted to sound like shit.
Hmm. I guess from this, you're trying to constructively help the OP by saying your opinion is better and more correct than his?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I like the SFT suggestion. Great sounding pedal.

Is playing a bass through your 8-watt Carr a good idea? Will it hurt the delicate wee thing? Bet it sounds awesome though. 8)

Edit: I should add that I approve of the choice of tone to chase.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

benderissimo wrote:I like the SFT suggestion. Great sounding pedal.

Is playing a bass through your 8-watt Carr a good idea? Will it hurt the delicate wee thing? Bet it sounds awesome though. 8)

Edit: I should add that I approve of the choice of tone to chase.
It sounds really awesome actually, you can get a loud clean sound on 8 watts but I like it more on 1/2 watt pushing it juuuust before it breaks up. A bit loud to do that on the 8 watt setting in my room. It has a reasonable sized cab which doesn't rattle or do anything weird so it's actually a really sweet bass practice and recording amp.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Is there a definitive word on if it's bad for a low wattage tube guitar amp though? I wouldn't mind trying my bass through my Bellverb 5 (when they're in the same city that is).

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

benderissimo wrote:I like the SFT suggestion. Great sounding pedal.

He isn't running it that loud so I think it's safe, the amp will be fine it's just the speaker. Sounds REALLY nice. I also remember plugging it into my 8x10 a few years ago and being blown away by the goodness.

Mark, you can borrow my SFT any time you like if you want to give it a hoon.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Sweet. I just remember getting given dirty looks a few years back when I plugged my bass into a blues deville 4x10. You'd think I'd got shitfaced and beat up a child or something.