Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Caveboy
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Feeling a bit rigid

Post by Caveboy »

I guess some people have a natural touch on an instrument, I wouldn't call myself one of those people :). Even though I've played bass a long time, I often feel rigid, or not as "free flowing" with my plucking hand (I'm not sure if this is how it appears when I play). Sure, its from watching the top dogs that make me want to play with that effortless gliding style. But anyway, any practice techniques/drill to work on to loosen things up? Baring in mind I probably have plenty of ingrained bad habits to break.
Last edited by Caveboy on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: Feeling a bit rigid

Post by TmcB »

Is there tension in your arm or hand?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Caveboy
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Caveboy »

Um, arm position and where the bass sits when I play is something I've been toying with. I think I do keep my arm a bit tense, been trying to stop resting my thumb on the pick up, but if I'm playing something fast or fidgety I tend to rely on anchoring to the pick up.

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

There are a few books out there that might help with technique:
This is but one... http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=940, I haven't used it nor do I endorse it if it sucks.
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Im a double bass guy - so i always play with the "meat" pad between my first and second knuckle on my index finger -
and some chewing gum,, man I just cant play well if I cant chew.,.,
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

johny3329
Stagg
Stagg

Post by johny3329 »

Hey Guys,

I have a blacktop HH Strat and I'm looking to chuck some new pickups into it, since the stock ones lack clarity and aren't quite doing the job since I've joined a new band.I've emailed Dimarzio and they recommended the 36th Anniversary PAF for the neck and an AT-1 (Andy Timmons) in the bridge, I would love some recommendations or advice since I have no experience with changing out pickups or what to look for. The demos on youtube I've found of the At-1 make it sound a little harsh, but if anybody have played it in person I'd love to hear their experience with it, I've had a look at the Norton as well.

I play Blues /Hard Rock/ Grungy kinda stuff most of the time, but also fusion jazzy shred sorta stuff. Zeppelin, Clapton, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains through to Satriani and fusion jazz. So I need pickups with punch and a singing lead tone since I'm the lead guitarist for a hard rock band, and would love a neck pickup that is usable in a band situation.
Any input is appreciated,
Thanks
jimmy

Edwards
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Edwards »

johny3329 wrote:Hey Guys,

I have a blacktop HH Strat and I'm looking to chuck some new pickups into it, since the stock ones lack clarity and aren't quite doing the job since I've joined a new band.I've emailed Dimarzio and they recommended the 36th Anniversary PAF for the neck and an AT-1 (Andy Timmons) in the bridge, I would love some recommendations or advice since I have no experience with changing out pickups or what to look for. The demos on youtube I've found of the At-1 make it sound a little harsh, but if anybody have played it in person I'd love to hear their experience with it, I've had a look at the Norton as well.

I play Blues /Hard Rock/ Grungy kinda stuff most of the time, but also fusion jazzy shred sorta stuff. Zeppelin, Clapton, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains through to Satriani and fusion jazz. So I need pickups with punch and a singing lead tone since I'm the lead guitarist for a hard rock band, and would love a neck pickup that is usable in a band situation.
Any input is appreciated,
Thanks
You have placed your first post (and question) in an old thread from 2011 called "Feeling a bit rigid".
Unless you are currently feeling rigid I would suggest you post a new thread in the "Pickups" section, under the "Amps and Tone" category. (See forum index).
ESP Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul / ESP Eclipse > Rivera Quiana 212
We are the Christians that the devil warned you about

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

perhaps you should start a different thread and copy and paste your post? I mean, just so more people will notice it.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

bluesbass wrote:There are a few books out there that might help with technique:
This is but one... http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=940, I haven't used it nor do I endorse it if it sucks.
872 pages!

Edwards
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Edwards »

Caveboy wrote:Feeling a bit frigid
ESP Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul / ESP Eclipse > Rivera Quiana 212
We are the Christians that the devil warned you about