TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 564 times

NBAD! Ampeg PF350

Post by TmcB »

Yay for New Bass Amp Day!

Thanks to NZRS_Matt's always stellar service, a lovely wee gem of an amp arrived yesterday, the Ampeg PF-350.

The PF-350 is one of two amps that Ampeg has decided to apply the Portaflex name to. The old Portaflex used to be a low watt tube amp on top of a 15inch speaker, with the ability to store the amp inside the cabinet itself, being called a flip top because you flipped the top of the cabinet over in order to get the amp part out. This amp, called the B15, is one of those holy grail amps for bassists, particularly those in the studio because they sound incredbile. The lower watts meant it wasn't worthwhile gigging with in rock situations so the SVT came about.

So there are two versions of this update to the Portaflex line, the PF-350 and the PF-500. Both are solid state. The PF-500 has Ultra-Hi and Ultra Low switches, a mid selector, compressor, fx mix, 500watts and is relatively big. Compared to its big brother, the PF-500, the PF-350 is much more basic machine, as well as being 150w less at 4ohms, and doesn't have all those things I just listed. The PF500 is based off the SVT Pro 7, whilst the PF-350 is based off the Micro-VR. Both sound great, but do sound different from each other. The micro-vr has had rave reviews in terms of tone but the maximum of 200w tends to let it down.

Well there's a big load of crap that doesn't have much bearing on what I"m going to say

As I get along in my preferences and gear choices, it's become apparent that the more crap that gets in the way of the signal, the crapper it sounds.
Put an amp like a Trace Elliot in front of me and I'll spend hours fiddling, and with basses with active electronics I tend to just leave it alone.
I wanted to get something small, light, and basic that had great tone, to use for practice and gigs where I couldn't be arsed dragging my SVT along.
I wasn't happy with the Genz-Benz stuff; the lower end gear whilst compact sounded a bit anemic although the Streamliners certainly sound good.
The Orange Bass Terror also had my attention for a bit as it has the preamp section of their AD200B but it's not particularly versatile EQ; a One trick pony (but a great trick!). Also, it was about 2x as much as I wanted to spend.

Enter the Ampeg PF350

Good price, small form factor, simple and with excellent tone; if you're familar with the Ampeg sound, you'll recognise it immediately. In fact, there are a couple of threads about the interwebs where they compare the tube B15 with the PF-350; they sound incredibly close, but of course the tubes give a little something magically that can't be replicated by SS. Still, very good signs.
I was a bit worried about volume and although I would have been a bit more comfortable with the knowledge I had 500w up my sleeve, the 350w certainly makes the walls shake and crushes my head in! That was just through an Ashdown 2x10 as well, which is very positive.

I really like just having Gain, Volume, Bass Mid and Treble. So simple, and the controls do a lot. You can get that classic Ampeg tone extremely easily; I intuitively dialed those settings up and I can't see them changing much for me. You can scoop a lot of the mids and make it sound very modern too, which is definite plus for those out there who want a bit of flexibility.
It does have an XLR Line out if required but please note it's line out, not DI; the signal is at line level so needs to be patched through the appropriate channel on the desk, otherwise you'll have way too much gain for the desk to handle.

It comes down to tone, price and volume. It has AWESOME tone, and if anyone loves the Ampeg sound, you'll love this. The price was sharp even before Matt fixed me up, and the volume is enough for rock gigs, especially using all the watts through more speakers. My next purchase in my sights is to get the matching portaflex 2x10 cabinet, but right now the PF-350 and my ABM210 will be a great portable, light rig.

TL;DR?

Nails the Ampeg tone, is small, loud, and wallet friendly.
Last edited by TmcB on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Re: NBAD!

Post by jeremyb »

Shit hot, its a big day for the N word today!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3501 times
Been liked: 715 times

Re: NBAD! Ampeg PF350

Post by Cdog »

Woo! Nice one Tony... it looks nice and portable :)

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Didn't read all that but congrats on the new Xbox 360, homie!

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

TmcB wrote: TL;DR?
Yep, but I would look at a picture if you posted one.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Congrats! How much does it cook at once? :lol:

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Cheers guys, I was a bit nervous about putting the fillet steak on it straight away, but as soon as Halo 3 loaded up all my fears were allayed.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Actually, thanks for the explanation about Flip-tops... I've always wondered wtf they were in POD Farm... No offense, not bassist, etc etc
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

George Foreman approves!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

TmcB wrote:Cheers guys, I was a bit nervous about putting the fillet steak on it straight away, but as soon as Halo 3 loaded up all my fears were allayed.
:lol: :lol:
ftw
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

are you keeping the valve Ampeg Tony?
did you sell your Ashdown head?

I can't keep up
Steve wants a jam, Bass Fest in Brighton?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

TmcB
I may have a problem

NBAD! Ampeg PF350

Post by TmcB »

foal30 wrote:are you keeping the valve Ampeg Tony?
did you sell your Ashdown head?

I can't keep up
Steve wants a jam, Bass Fest in Brighton?
Haha, yep keeping the SVT. Bought this for practices and small gigs. Yes, sold basically a whole bass setup to my friend; Ashdown ABM500, Mag 410T and Fender 2003 P Bass with NP4's. Bought my 2008 P Bass, the keeper, with the proceeds.

TmcB
I may have a problem

NBAD! Ampeg PF350

Post by TmcB »

...and yep, Bassfest sounds good to me!

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

TmcB wrote:Cheers guys, I was a bit nervous about putting the fillet steak on it straight away, but as soon as Halo 3 loaded up all my fears were filleted.
fixorrd
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times