Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Radian Bass

Post by bender »

ash wrote:How do people feel about pickguards, then?

I suspect most will insist on them....

The problem in this case is that they complicate the pickup options. One reason I wasn't sure about the small Jazz concept is the way the pickguard edges clash with pickup placement if you use anything but Jazz pickups. No pickguard is easier and cheaper, but the look is not for everyone.
I think no pickguard is fine on a smaller bodied bass but as soon as it starts to look too much like a P or J bass it starts to need one. Colour options affect it too- some colours seem to suit no PG but others don't.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Im comfortable with no pickguard on a bass. Probably would want one a solid colour finish, but for wood grain / stained wood finish I dont think you'd need a pickguard.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

As this would be the kind of bass I'd consider for home recording, I'd prefer that money that could go on improving asthetics would be diverted to the quality of the hardware. So if it costs more to make it with a pickguard, I'd be happy for it to not have one.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

Green on purple.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

jimi wrote:
Im comfortable with no pickguard on a bass. Probably would want one a solid colour finish, but for wood grain / stained wood finish I dont think you'd need a pickguard.
I've seen a few solid finish ones that look really cool without a pickguard. In fact I'm pretty sure I remember one that Ash made a year or so ago that really tickled my fancy.

Ahhh... here it is:

Farken cool 8)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Headless is best.

1 pick up, put in the correct place.

2-Tek Bridge!
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

if you expand it to two basses in the radian line, this should be it, in a pj configuration without the pickup selector

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

snitchez wrote:if you expand it to two basses in the radian line, this should be it, in a pj configuration without the pickup selector
I've come to a very similar conclusion over the last few days. The secondary body option will indeed be the Tele-bass body with a P-bass pickguard and P-bass pickup. I already have the templates and they are identical to the P-bass in all ways except for the shape of the top horn. Right now I'm trying to resist the temptation to make a thinline tele-bass body with the current batch of thinlines... :shock:

The standard J-bass is too big/fancy/expensive without clear benefits arising from those things to be the winner here. The shrunk J-bass clashes with the next version of one of the Ash basses yet to be released. For that reason... they're out.

That leaves one obvious victor - A standard P-bass with pickguard and one P-bass pickup. Options for various bridge pickups to be added at minimal extra cost, the various necks, body wood, finish etc. Any other custom options can be done as a non-Radian custom build. I will make some subtle changes to the body shape to make it look a little less clunky, but they probably wouldn't be obvious unless you had a Radian and a Fender side-by-side.

Thanks for all the input, peeps! If any of you are keen for the first ones I'll be making a prototype of each after the Thinlines and Jazzmasters are done.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Thinline bass body....... Hmmmmmm

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

When I started this thread I wasn't seriously expecting to build a boring old P-Bass, but much pondering made it clear that they aren't the most dominant electric bass of all time for nothing. Also, I had most of the bits ready to work with, so it wasn't too much drama to throw it into the batch.

So, here it is... the official Radian Bass:

The body is one-piece of NZ grown alder, complete with bizarre flecks, swirls and stains. Even a tiny hint of flame in some spots. Finished is satin lacquer all over for silky smooth feel.

Jazz bass sized neck - a little narrower than the usual P-bass neck and a fairly common wish-list thing for P-basses.

The Ash P-Bass pickup is fairly traditional, but has extra magic tricks up its sleeve. The tone knob has a push-pull switch that brings a brighter, clearer tone out of the pickup to get a bonus tone a little closer to Jazz bass territory.

Persons of a Wellingtonian persuasion will be able to try it for themselves at the Welly Fest. Slash-Ed will be the custodian of the Radian Bass.

Of course it's for sale... never been gigged, why so cheap. PM me for info if you want it or one a bit like it.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

and thats rock and roll right there :D WIN!

shame about the jazz neck :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Yay!

I love the boring old P-Bass. Such a satisfying style to play and hear. Well done.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Awesome!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

ash wrote: Persons of a Wellingtonian persuasion will be able to try it for themselves at the Welly Fest. Slash-Ed will be the custodian of the Radian Bass.
Looking forward to THAT. :D

I must admit I never would have suspected that P-Basses were more dominant in market-share over J basses though. :?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

:wave:

Aren't you on the lookout for a new solidbody electric as well? :twisted:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world