snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: NFABGD!

Post by snitchez »

gold tape wounds perhaps? i reckon some black nylon flats would look killer on that. congrats on the new bass day.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Single coil wrote:
Vince wrote:They'll still be sounding ok a decade from now so there's no rush. :)
Do you know the hot water trick for bass strings?

Yep, and some people suggest chucking in some vinegar as well.

Looks like an interesting time of experimentation ahead. And I mean that in a good way.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Vince wrote:
Single coil wrote:
Vince wrote:They'll still be sounding ok a decade from now so there's no rush. :)
Do you know the hot water trick for bass strings?

Yep, and some people suggest chucking in some vinegar as well.

Looks like an interesting time of experimentation ahead. And I mean that in a good way.
That got my interest up, so I did a search & found this as another method:

Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

That's hilarious
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

H671 wrote:
That got my interest up, so I did a search & found this as another method:

Wow...

ANYHOO... sounds like playing roundwounds on a fretless fingerboard is not the end of the world.

YES, you will eventually need to sand out (?) whatever damage is done but it's not like the bass becomes unplayable or anything. Or that's the general opinion on the net. One place compared it to tyres on cars. Yes, they do wear out and have to be changed.

Having said that, there are people on the internet who believe the earth is flat and only 6000 years old so it could go either way. But at least I'm fairly confident that the fingerboard won't look like a bowl of dip very soon.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

If Roundwounds eat your fingerboard it proves the Earth is only 6000 years old.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

foal30 wrote:If Roundwounds eat your fingerboard it proves the Earth is only 6000 years old.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

I love this bass but it's basically a feedback generator with strings.

So I started looking around for ways to get rid of the feedback. It has F holes, so the usual round Feedback Buster is not an option. There's a guy in America that makes stuff for F holes but he wants a rubbing of the guitar and that was starting to sound frightfully complicated. The sort of thing that I know I would fuck up.

http://www.dougsplugs.com/ordering.html

I also looked into the idea of getting a parametric equaliser and filtering out whatever frequency was feedbacking (you need to do it according to the room though) and there don't seem to be many pedals that do that, and none for a reasonable price. I didn't want to be shoving towels into the body either, it'd be a major undertaking with those narrow F holes.

And yep, you can definitely stand somewhere where the feedback doesn't happen, but what a drag not being able to move or anything.

Anyway, I finally learned that old jazz players used to cover the F holes with duct tape. Now, there's no way I want to have duct/gaffa tape ripping off the finish so I bought some masking tape. Too light, by the look of it. It made no difference at all.

I eventually ended up cutting up a cardboard box and managed to crank up the amp to a fairly good level. Not that I could play this bass through a full Marshall stack on 11 or anything without tidal waves of feedback but it was certainly a better outcome, as they say in the public service. And I am fond of a bit of feedback anyway. That "angels' choir" sound.

Yes, it looks seriously shit but I suppose I could get some photos or postcards or something. Maybe something with those women they used to paint on the sides of WW2 bombers or something.

Anyway, covering up the holes is a surprisingly cheap and effective solution. To a certain extent.

Thought I'd share.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Figured duct tape veneer?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.