Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chrls
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Bass Pick Ups

Post by chrls »

I am getting sick of my dodgy old passive bass. When trying to sort out earth hum, my father (being an electrician) pulled on a wire and it came off one of the trim pots. In an extreme panic, I soldered the wire back on to the common point of one of the pots so I had a bass that worked for the night's gig.

That was over a year ago.

I have finally got off my ass and decided to revamp, and put some active pick-ups in for a bigger sound (not a more defined sound, a bigger sound). I'm going for Seymour Duncans from music123.com. Much cheaper than buying from the rockshop.

I need someone to suggest someone to install these for me. I need a preamp wired up or something...my older brother suggested Paul Crowther, however I haven't been able to obtain contact details.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of someone? I really want a professional job done on this, or else I'd do it myself.

Thank you,

Chris
These Four Walls
What are you going to do for a face, when the monkey wants its bum back?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Hello. :mrgreen:

I can supply the SDs too... also cheaper than the evil empire.

PM me for more info.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Timi
Gibson

Re: Bass Pick Ups

Post by Timi »

chrls wrote:I am getting sick of my dodgy old passive bass
Just out of interest, is it dodgy because its dodgy or because its passive?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

because its dodgy :P I used to use a top of the range soundgear with all the knobs and stuff - not mine thankfully - and I much prefer my P-Bass. Its a lot easier for a start ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Yep, passive basses sound much better to me too.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

The SD Quarter pounders in my bass have higher output than I got from the Ibanez SR400 I used to have (active pre amp).

Get passive pickups and a pedal with a pre-amp, that way you get the best of both worlds and don't have to shell out to get to get the preamp removed when you've decided you don't like it.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Just out of interest, is it dodgy because its dodgy or because its passive?
I don't know what's going on. I'd say I think it's dodgy because it is dodgy. I've never really had a problem with passive before, but it just hasn't done well since. I know passive pick ups can sound better, but I'm not after what passive pick ups have to offer.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Sorry, I was just curious if you were one of those "passive basses are a joke" kinda players.

I had some quater pounders in a p bass once, they were cool. Ive got Rio Grandes in a jazz now and they also treat me right.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

The last two basses I have owned were passive.

This bass just needs some fixing, and my old passive bass died so if I throw the passive ones from my warick into the ibanez I can flick it off on trademe or something.

Active & passive - It's really a preference thing

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I have two basses, one active one passive. I suggest anyone who really cares about their tone should do the same, as they both have their place in various music styles.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...