ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Bass overdrive, fuzz or distortion

Post by ash »

Peeps... I may be in the market for some kind of bass overdrive thingee in the future. I've never paid any attention to such demonic creations before, so I need some clues as to what is good and what is evil.

I have a few guitar pedals like a Guyatone overdrive (Tsuken?) and some old Gunn (Vox/Coloursound copy) monsters that I will mess about with for now.

Just looking at Justin Chancellor's effects list, Turbo Rat (intend to clone one) and Colorsound Tone Bender (have the Gunn version) should do the trick.

Any other worthy contenders?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

clean? that should be the best contender :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

bluesgeek wrote:clean? that should be the best contender :P
No no no, its like guitar, you can have the overdrive level set so when you play light its clean, and when you dig in you get some crunch.
Just cause its on bass doesnt mean it has to be a big muff on full.

I've never really tried actual bass overdrives before, most guitar ones will cut your bass a bit so you have to boost it on the amp again. Fine if you leave it on the whole time but not good if you turn the pedal on and off.

Like guitars, some basses suit some pedals and others dont. I think active basses don't sound as good with overdrive, too sterile and too much output.

Maybe one of those Boss OD-20 or Line6 DM4 units would be cool, lots of options on them.
Otherwise perhaps try Rats, Hotcakes, Tubescreamers, Big Muff ect.
Ryan does a few things if you are more into fuzz than overdrive.

And finally, if your cab has horns, turn them off when using overdrive.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I'm with BG. I've tried a bunch of bass fx and have developed a clear preference for totally clean.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Chancellor uses a Tone Bender? Nice!

I tried the D*A*M MKII with bass, but it didn't impress me nearly as much as some of the other D*A*M and Frantone stuff.

Ash, perhaps I should pop out to your workshop some time soon with a box of pedals (or if you need a place where you can turn up loud, we could use my showroom).
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Chancellor uses a Tone Bender? Nice!

I tried the D*A*M MKII with bass, but it didn't impress me nearly as much as some of the other D*A*M and Frantone stuff.

Ash, perhaps I should pop out to your workshop some time soon with a box of pedals (or if you need a place where you can turn up loud, we could use my showroom).
bring them along to the gearfest on the 3rd :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

I used to use a hotcake which I was pretty happy with till it got nicked. Now I have an MXR Distortion+ on loan which is ok, but nothing special.

I'd had a play on some of Ryan's frantone pedals a couple of gear fests ago, and would probably have picked one up if the band thing hadn't gone into stasis.

At the moment I can get a nice grind out of my Ampeg head which is plenty for me.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

bluesgeek wrote:
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Chancellor uses a Tone Bender? Nice!

bring them along to the gearfest on the 3rd :)
Will try my best to make it!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver would be a good start :-)
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

the primus "my name is mud" era sound is an ada bass midi preamp.

also in the mega dollar region is the swr overdrive.

a cool sound on bass is to set a graphic eq to a sad face, and then bring the levels up till the boosted mids are distorted but the bass and treble are not.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

I bought a Digitech BP200 2.5 years ago. Used it for 0.5 hours, its still mint in the box. I'm with BG and Rog. Anyway, if I want fancy bass I get to use the analog synth :)

Jono
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jono »

I really like the bass distortion tone that Sigur Ros get.

Did some digging for you. Apparently he uses a pedal called the "EBS Multidrive". EBS, if I understand it right, only make bass gear, and are supposed to be very good at it.

That's where I'd be looking first...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Maybe we could put this in the Bass section to spark some activity... since that section is all but dead (just like all you bass players :P)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

zdali wrote:Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver would be a good start :-)
Nope, I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut.....
JonoLee wrote:"EBS Multidrive". EBS, if I understand it right, only make bass gear, and are supposed to be very good at it.
I've wanted to try one of these for ages, but they are quite expensive to buy without trying first. I have an EBS octave pedal thats cool though.

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jops »

I remember AB'ing a Hotcake with the dirt from a Mesa M2000 and liking the Hotcake more... P & C is always fun too.