Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

C^8
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

P-Bass style wiring

Post by C^8 »

I'm working on my rewiring/shielding my girlfriend's (cheapo) Ibanez TR bass due to a horrible hum it gets when the tone is cranked up.

If I touch the tone/vol knobs the hum stops, so I'm assuming it's a grounding problem?

I have used BG's shielding guide to make the insides all metal clad and such - now I just need to re-do the wiring (the part I always get confused by).

The bass has 2 single coil offset pups in the P-Bass tradition, so I hunted down a Stewmac wiring diagram and will try and follow it.

Now ... how do I alter the wiring so it dosn't loop with shielding I've done?
Keep in mind I am no electrical engineer :P
'Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz fusion!'
- Humphrey B Flaubert

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Don't alter the wiring. Just make sure the sheilding only contacts at the volume pot body.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

C^8
Stagg
Stagg

Post by C^8 »

Thanks, ash. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.
If it still dosn't fix the hum I'm just going to throw the bass in the trash... It's only an Indonesian plywood job after all :P

The only thing I'm not sure if I can copy in that stewmac diagram is connecting a ground wire to the bridge (it wasn't done in the original wiring as far I can tell)... but if the cavities are shielded should this matter?
- Humphrey B Flaubert

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Earth the bridge. The strings are a sheild when earthed, an aerial when unearthed.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

C^8
Stagg
Stagg

Post by C^8 »

Cheers, ash.
Despite my godawful looking soldering the bass is now humless!
The ground wire from the bridge was removed by whoever had mucked around with it previously - So, I put in a new one and re-wired the pots (new pots + capacitor) and thankfully it worked.

Thanks also to BG for his shielding tips too :)
- Humphrey B Flaubert