Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dylan
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

classical guitar = bass player?

Post by dylan »

the other day a mate of mine picked up my bass - he had never played bass before, but was instantly able to play the instrument with great skill.

i was kinda amazed, till he pointed out that he had decades of experience playing classical guitar, and that the chops were basically the same.

come to think of it, i could play bass pretty much as soon as i picked it up, and i too played heaps of fingerstyle acoustic as a kid.

the plucking and muting with those two fingers by your thumb is pretty much identical, and the inate ability to play slap bass might be from the thumb plucking on a classical.

p.s when i say "playing the bass" i mean without a pick - yes, im biased:)
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

I'm confused, you can play bass without a pick?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I think a line needs to be drawn between a bass player who provides a solid backing rhythm and can fit with a drummer or the bass player who shreds and wanks on like a guitarist..... I'm sure his technique is great, but is he a 'Bass Player' ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Probably if he's a decent classical Guitarist, BG, yes he can hold the groove - besides flashy bits like Bach's bouree in Dminor or Chaconne in E, you spend lots of time working on other things like 'Recuerdos de los alhambra' which are strictly rhythem pieces (with tremelo) and South American things, like those of Ponce (I kid you not) which are mostly rhythem (some quite tricky ones as well) that bieng the home of the tango, sexual perversions, gauchos, armadildos etc.
You can't do THAT on stage!

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

B45-12 wrote:Probably if he's a decent classical Guitarist, BG, yes he can hold the groove - besides flashy bits like Bach's bouree in Dminor or Chaconne in E, you spend lots of time working on other things like 'Recuerdos de los alhambra' which are strictly rhythem pieces (with tremelo) and South American things, like those of Ponce (I kid you not) which are mostly rhythem (some quite tricky ones as well) that bieng the home of the tango, sexual perversions, gauchos, armadildos etc.
and they even make armadillos into guitars - the Charango

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charango

ImageImage

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I'm wearing an Argentine football top as I read this.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

raz wrote:
B45-12 wrote:Probably if he's a decent classical Guitarist, BG, yes he can hold the groove - besides flashy bits like Bach's bouree in Dminor or Chaconne in E, you spend lots of time working on other things like 'Recuerdos de los alhambra' which are strictly rhythem pieces (with tremelo) and South American things, like those of Ponce (I kid you not) which are mostly rhythem (some quite tricky ones as well) that bieng the home of the tango, sexual perversions, gauchos, armadildos etc.
and they even make armadillos into guitars - the Charango

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charango

ImageImage
No doubt - but I didn't write armadillo!! - :lol:
You can't do THAT on stage!

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

B45-12 wrote: No doubt - but I didn't write armadillo!! - :lol:
I know but I didn't want to post another picture of the Wangcaster :D :lol:

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

adam clayton said it takes a certain type of person to play the repeatitive bass line for the sake of a good groove, very different for the 'lead bassist'
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

"lead bassist" = oxymoron

but i love that part in "scarified" where the bassplayer plays lead on a rick with distortion and a pick - then goes back to playing bass after 4 bars.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil: