Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

My bass rattles..

Post by Rog »

I was talking with a bloke about basses and he said his rattles when he plays unplugged. He'd tried everything he could think off - foam under the scratchplate, tightened the truss-rod etc, but to no avail. Was driving him crazy. Local music shop was no help.

I had a squiz at it for him. Played a few runs. Grabbed a screwdriver, tightened the screw holding the straplock on the horn and --- no rattles.

He was a tad embarassed about it.

Have you helped anyone sort out these things?
Its fun when you can do in a couple of minutes what others couldn't do in a year.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Every day.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

LOL - I'll bet!!
You must have some grand tales to tell, mate!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

9v batteries.
Active? WTF?

I don't know any more, but I probably did/have done/will do things that raise eyebrow or chuckles.
Education is life long.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 260 times

Re: My bass rattles..

Post by crowbgood1 »

I had a mate (this is going back a few years) that had a 69 Triumph Bonny that developed a rattle. He rebuilt the motor. It still rattled.
He asked me to take it for a ride around the block and tell me what I thought....... well a couple of new wire clips in the headlight later and it was fixed.

The rebuild took him 6 months and all his spare cash!
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Dad calls me after tea one night. "We need you to come and fix the Freeview box!"

"Why, what's wrong with it?"

"There's no picture! We tried the spare TV on it."

"Well, I can't come around tonight, tea was sausages, hash browns, and lots of beer."

Next morning, I find out why there was no picture. The video RCA cable had come out, and Dad didn't realise that it was one video plus two audio cables, so he plugged the right channel into the video-in on the telly, and the left channel into one of the audio ins. Then he repeated that when he tried the second TV.

The funny part being that the TV in question is an old tube one, as is the spare one. As in heavy feckers that Dad had to lug around when it had just been a connector fallen out, due to the back of the second telly being a ratsnest from the set top box, the VCR, and the DVD player.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I'm currently working through the brakes on my ute. Have replaced or rebuilt the rear cylinders, the brake proportioning valve, the master cylinder and vacuum booster. All that is left is the front calipers, new ones are going on on Sat, but I don't think these are the problem. I know it's just a simple thing that I am missing, but I am at a loss.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Danger Mouse wrote:I'm currently working through the brakes on my ute. Have replaced or rebuilt the rear cylinders, the brake proportioning valve, the master cylinder and vacuum booster. All that is left is the front calipers, new ones are going on on Sat, but I don't think these are the problem. I know it's just a simple thing that I am missing, but I am at a loss.
The mat will be jammed behind the break pedal.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

Rog wrote:I was talking with a bloke about basses and he said his rattles when he plays unplugged. He'd tried everything he could think off - foam under the scratchplate, tightened the truss-rod etc, but to no avail. Was driving him crazy. Local music shop was no help.

I had a squiz at it for him. Played a few runs. Grabbed a screwdriver, tightened the screw holding the straplock on the horn and --- no rattles.

He was a tad embarassed about it.

Have you helped anyone sort out these things?
Its fun when you can do in a couple of minutes what others couldn't do in a year.
He must have ears like a bat!
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Is he playing the bass unplugged much? Don't find myself doing that a whole lot

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mitch.twentyfive »

thehenderson wrote:Is he playing the bass unplugged much? Don't find myself doing that a whole lot
this.

santana08
Stagg
Stagg

Post by santana08 »

I'm also experiencing the same problem. :(
Thank you for sharing your thoughts :D

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

thehenderson wrote:Is he playing the bass unplugged much? Don't find myself doing that a whole lot
give it a crack in the week leading up to your next recording session. Even if it's 20mins a night.

Michael Manring (who is possibly the guy you'll be least influenced by in the entire history of popular culture) really supports this.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish