Trademe Bass Guitars...(just a query)

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

junwei89
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by junwei89 »

Rog wrote:Whatever floats your boat. If there's a song I can't play on a 4 string, its probably not a song from the type of music I enjoy. However, at your price range - I doubt you'd find a 5 or 6'er.
Oh yup, sweet, i can't really think of what kind of music I would play with a 5 string bass, because I wanna play a lot of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and then other kind of stuff I randomly hear. Is it common for a 5 string bass to be used in specific types of music?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

not sure that a 5 can be assigned to a genre specific role.

some of the Chilli's stuff is below E. more likely de-tuned as opposed to being played on a 5. Flea plays a fretless 5 on Alanis Morrisett's "You ought to know".

I do like the 5 on tunes in Eb and often it is more comfortable on certain tunes in F and F#. I also tend to not use open strings so the 5 covers the low E nicely.

as with most things it is all in what you hear. I don't play a 6 because I just don't hear it that high, and I almost never play chords.

but that don't stop Anthony Jackson being the baddest ass in the world.

junwei89
Stagg
Stagg

Post by junwei89 »

foal30 wrote:not sure that a 5 can be assigned to a genre specific role.

some of the Chilli's stuff is below E. more likely de-tuned as opposed to being played on a 5. Flea plays a fretless 5 on Alanis Morrisett's "You ought to know".

I do like the 5 on tunes in Eb and often it is more comfortable on certain tunes in F and F#. I also tend to not use open strings so the 5 covers the low E nicely.

as with most things it is all in what you hear. I don't play a 6 because I just don't hear it that high, and I almost never play chords.

but that don't stop Anthony Jackson being the baddest ass in the world.
oh yup that for the info, would anyone be able to give me the basic differences between the squier p-bass, and j-bass?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3918 times

Post by Bg »

and don't forget, a 6 string bass is like playing a cricket bat...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

junwei89
Stagg
Stagg

Post by junwei89 »

bluesgeek wrote:and don't forget, a 6 string bass is like playing a cricket bat...
ok lol..i think i'll stick to a 4 string, since it'll prob b easier to play? (thinner neck)

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

basic differences between the squier p-bass, and j-bass?

He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

basic differences between the squier p-bass, and j-bass?
P = single pickup (humbucker?), probably a bit ballsier than the Jazz. Wider neck.
J = two single coil pickups, gives a bit more versitility, a more compressed sound on the bridge and a little P-bass sounding on the neck. The necks are narrower which I like.

The squier range has P-J basses these days too which give the best of both worlds with a P Pickup at the neck and J at the bridge.

If you're wanting to play some chilis I'd recommend a Jazz bass. Flea uses them regularly. I find the narrower neck makes it a bit easier to get my hand round - just my opinion though.

The best option is really to pop down to the rock shop and have a play on a Squire P and Jazz and make your own mind up about which is more comfortable.

junwei89
Stagg
Stagg

Post by junwei89 »

thx guys ^^