ummm....which way round do the pickups go ?

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 2 times

ummm....which way round do the pickups go ?

Post by Some Bozo »

I'm a spaz - I took all the guts out of my Peavey Foundation bass to refinish it and now I can't remember which pickup is which. Any ideas before I try trial and error ? Wire length doesn't help. One has an orange dot sticker. DC resistance of the one with sticker is 5.08, other is 5.12...
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

holelottaluv
Ashton
Ashton

Re: ummm....which way round do the pickups go ?

Post by holelottaluv »

put the 5.12 in the bridge and the 5.08 in the neck, try it with both pick ups on together, if it sounds thin they are out of phase if so turn one of the pickups around [180 degrees] a bit of trial and error. you might like the out of phase sound

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

holelottaluv wrote:put the 5.12 in the bridge and the 5.08 in the neck, try it with both pick ups on together, if it sounds thin they are out of phase if so turn one of the pickups around [180 degrees] a bit of trial and error. you might like the out of phase sound
Cheers I'll give it a spin
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Otherwise if it has exposed pole pieces you might be able to tell the bridge pickup because the poles should be very slightly further apart.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

My next question is...the black plastic on the pickups has got some white discolouration like it's been exposed to some solvent that's munted up the surface, what's a good way of getting it black again ?