sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: sound opinion required

Post by sgt mukuzi »

geeze mate, top tips, you make me laugh hahaha

fat slags was a personal fav
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

te_chris wrote:if you have an eq in front of the comp then you're changing the reaction of the comp, if you have it after then you're adjusting the sound of the compressed signal
This can be a serious problem in a recording/live signal chain as the EQ freqs that are boosted by the para/graphic trigger the comp to squash everything else resulting in a very weird post signal. That's why on desks the compressor is an insert pre-EQ to avoid this pumping effect. I've heard a few mixes where the bass content is causing the compressor to trigger and flatten the entire mix and causes a surging/pulsing/pumping effect...ick.

Also a comp goes first in the chain to prevent a potential increase in the noise floor from prior circuitry, as the comp well raise everything...signal and noise. :(

In a gat rig, anything goes as that might just be the madness you're after. :)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Compressor before Wah, Envelope, Dynamic Filters, Time Delays?
seriously?

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Pathetic Sharks.

I found my original Morley instruction booklet
"never put in effects loop
always plug Bass into this unit first and into front of amp".

let me have it Clubhouse.
I have everything in front of the Limiter, then last is a Sadowsky Pre (which has a DI) so I put it last
also 95% of the time it's just Limiter and Sadowsky...it's not Bootsy Collins over here.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

foal30 wrote:Pathetic Sharks.

I found my original Morley instruction booklet
"never put in effects loop
always plug Bass into this unit first and into front of amp".

let me have it Clubhouse.
I have everything in front of the Limiter, then last is a Sadowsky Pre (which has a DI) so I put it last
also 95% of the time it's just Limiter and Sadowsky...it's not Bootsy Collins over here.
Sharks? Where's the sharks...what the?...always plug bass into amp first :?: ...wha?

Have what? Speak English...you vintage post junkie, you.... :shock: :D

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

foal30 wrote:Compressor before Wah, Envelope, Dynamic Filters, Time Delays?
seriously?
depends on the pedal i reckon
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

sgt mukuzi wrote:
foal30 wrote:Compressor before Wah, Envelope, Dynamic Filters, Time Delays?
seriously?
depends on the pedal i reckon
Yes, in a 'classic', optimised for low noise signal chain. As a compressor will 'lift' the signal along with any inherent signal noise, it needs to go first in the chain before any other pedal that generates circuit/self noise can add noise to the signal.

A compressor used in the typical manner, 'compresses' signal dynamics...transient signal peaks are squashed down, the signal envelope is sustained and 'make-up' gain is used post compression to raise the signal back up to unity (or higher) level, therefore raising the noise floor along with it.

In a guitar/bass rig, the signal chain is an unbalanced line so any noise picked up along the chain is added to the signal carrier rail and becomes part of the audio signal in general. :(

IF you are using your compressor as a limiter then insert it as one of the last units in the chain to catch the transient note peaks generated by effects (gain boosts, EQ frequency boosts, etc.) previously.

A limiter's job is to squash very high signal peaks then rapidly release the signal to carry on so not raising the low level part of the signal envelope (which also contains the noise floor) via 'make-up' gain. This 'limits' peaks from going on to distort amps (power distortion) which in turn, spikes speakers causing them to exceed their specified cone excursion parameters and 'blow'.

In saying this though, in terms of a guitar/bass rig, a large part of the equation is the creative use of tools (effects pedals) to achieve a desired sound which often plays a more important role than the 'correct' audio engineering, high fidelity approach to signal flow. A compressor/limiter in this context becomes another colouring effect in the available palette...use as thy will :D

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Pathetic Sharks is from the Viz Magazine

I tend to multi-task in posts as I'm not one to try and get cheap post counts by using 3 posts to answer or ask several questions.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

bit like this , it's childish and I'll have no part of it.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

yes I use a Limiter at the END of the chain, only my main EQ bank is after it.

the other EQ is more a boost for soloing.
thanks

yes It's about what sounds good but I am always interested in ways to not blow up my gear too :)

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

You can plug your bass into the Morley wah (or any wah for that matter as they need to 'see' the pick-up impedance level to function well in general), and then into the compressor, however realise that this is an opportunity for noise to enter the chain (however small) pre the compressor (with my audio engineer's hat on :) ).

IIRC Morleys are an opto type pedal so in having no pot, could be a lot quieter (self noise wise) than many other pedals anyways. :idea:

But again, if its a limiter, or you're using a compressor as a limiter, then of course it needs to be on the end of the chain to be of greatest utility.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

I love being reassured of my correctness :)

yes Morley is no pot, quiet as MF
Timi turned me onto the regulated adapters and I swear I got a near noiseless board, I just got to watch open pick ups on me Fenders.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

foal30 wrote:Pathetic Sharks is from the Viz Magazine

I tend to multi-task in posts as I'm not one to try and get cheap post counts by using 3 posts to answer or ask several questions.
I tend to repeat post because a brain injury means I have the memory of a...thing I've forgotten...and I'll often remember things after I've clicked "submit".

I use a compressor on my bass (electric or contra basso) to maintain a consistent level despite my inconsistent touch. It the first thing in my electric bass chain that then goes into a volume pedal (sniff of to a tuner), then sometimes a fuzz and/or a univibe thing, then to amp. The compressor maintains a good, controlled level that has no dangerous transients...the fuzz is all clipped, uniform waveforms (no spikes) set for unity gain.

For double bass, I first go to a Fishman Blender that buffers the piezo pick-up signal and mixes it with a mic signal then to compressor, bla, bla...

Diggin' Bootsy baby! :D

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

What so never the Dance indeed.

I tend to insert humor
that is not very humorous
and only picked up on by 5% of subscribers
of whom 75% don't think it's funny anyway.

it's hard to hear Bootsy and not want to try shit out
"Sex Machine" remains the baddest 16th note finger funk line in history
honorable mentions to Jemmott and Prestia of course but shit it's a winner for it's many mutations.

I see your Eb9

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Right on, right on...Get on Up! Brudda:D