Finally using Ampeg to its full potential!

Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chrls
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Finally using Ampeg to its full potential!

Post by chrls »

I was reading the manual for my amp this weekend (as you do when you've got nothing else to do!) and being the man that I am when I bought the amp some 4 years ago I just turned a few knobs and got a sound I liked and left it like that.

But I read something in the manual that was talking about connecting an external preamp to the power amp output so I did it and I couldn't believe how clean and smooth the sound became!

Can anyone explain to me why this would be? I'm just not smart enough to realise it on my own!
What are you going to do for a face, when the monkey wants its bum back?

Timi
Gibson

Re: Finally using Ampeg to its full potential!

Post by Timi »

You are bypassing the Ampeg preamp and using it only as a poweramp. So you just like the other preamp more than the Ampeg preamp.

Which Ampeg head and what preamp are you using?

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

I'm running an SVT 4-PRO and a SansAmp RBI rack unit. It just sucks though because my SVT is 110V 60Hz and doesn't react well with 230V 50Hz equipment when running through a sound desk. There's too much white noise and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

To be honest then, I think you are wasting your time with the Ampeg.

Since you are now just using the SVT-4 as a poweramp, why not sell the SVT-4 and purchase a poweramp with NZ voltage? If you check out the talkbass.com forums you will see MANY people using the RBI into a poweramp rather than using an all in one head, and it might give you ideas as to which amps to look at.

If you have any hesitations about getting rid of an Ampeg when they are considered to be the "holy grail" by a lot of people, consider that the SVT-4 Pro is notorius for not having that much volume considering its high power rating, and in the true sense it really isn't an SVT because it has a solid state power amp. It is clear that as an amp you don't like it, so why keep it.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

yeah Ampeg is Ampeg
people will pay good money for that name
you could sort yourself a replacement you like easy off the sale of your current head.
SansAmp eh?

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, I love the SVT. As for your remark on them being notorious for not having much volume, you might be right but so far it hasn't put me a foot wrong and running it through an 8x10 certainly gives it plenty of volume. I'm sure I could sort myself a replacement for the sale of my head, but right now I'm not considering selling it.

I only asked how the thing worked, and I thank you for your answers. I do research things before I buy them, and I know the combinations the RBI can be used in, but right now I think I'll just stick to using it in the loop before the ampeg.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Oh they are loud, very loud, but considering they are 1200 watts bridged at 4 ohms they aren't that loud, infact many people have said that amps like the GK 1001RBII (700ish watts) is louder.

They are still good amps though, and at least now you have two choices of preamp to use. You could even run both by running the RBI in front, or in the loop, or just the RBI using the fx return bypassing the Ampeg preamp.

Something else to consider is the preamp tubes in the Ampeg. Different tubes sound different, and worn tubes sound different too. I highly recommend checkout out the talkbass forums if you haven't already, you never know what you might learn about your setup!

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Yeah, I was looking around Talkbass.com before and searching the internet to see if there was any way I could isolate the 60Hz output but I guess I just have to live with it. I was also thinking about putting a new transformer in the Ampeg because unfortunately I don't think I own one of the many that exist that you can rewire in 10 minutes.

I'm pretty happy with the set up I have - I just wish I had another 8x10 so I didn't have to push the one I have now!

I just don't own a van.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

I've never had the oppurtunity to use two 8x10s, nor can my amps let me do it, but I can imagine it would sound huge as my one 8x10 is fairly full on. I did once get to use an SVT2 (the older non-pro model) through two of the big HLF 4x10s, it was awesome.

What bass/basses are you running through your rig dude?

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

and what band do you play in?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

chrls wrote:I was also thinking about putting a new transformer in the Ampeg because unfortunately I don't think I own one of the many that exist that you can rewire in 10 minutes.
I'm not sure if it was Recycled Pet here or Patrick who used to be at MW Takapuna, but I recall someone having their SVT converted for 240 volt use after believing for ages that they needed a stepdown transformer. The result was improved tone in addition to the redundancy of the 20kg transformer. Have it looked at by one of those elusive proper amp techs regarding the voltage wiring if you haven't already.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

ash wrote:I'm not sure if it was Recycled Pet here or Patrick who used to be at MW Takapuna, but I recall someone having their SVT converted for 240 volt use after believing for ages that they needed a stepdown transformer. The result was improved tone in addition to the redundancy of the 20kg transformer. Have it looked at by one of those elusive proper amp techs regarding the voltage wiring if you haven't already.
I had my SVT3Pro converted to NZ power by Clarry. Cost $40 + I sold my stepdown for close to $200 = profit and less crap to carry round.

I can't imagine needing a 2nd 8x10 for my rig. The room we practice in is pretty dead so it can get a bit lost in there, but I have to turn it down a bit when we gig.

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

I can't imagine needing a 2nd 8x10 for my rig. The room we practice in is pretty dead so it can get a bit lost in there, but I have to turn it down a bit when we gig.
Oh I don't really need one, I'd like to have to more for the novelty factor at the moment. I always wanted a huge rig when I was a little youngen dreaming of what gear I'd like. One 8x10 is enough at the moment!
I'm not sure if it was Recycled Pet here or Patrick who used to be at MW Takapuna, but I recall someone having their SVT converted for 240 volt use after believing for ages that they needed a stepdown transformer. The result was improved tone in addition to the redundancy of the 20kg transformer. Have it looked at by one of those elusive proper amp techs regarding the voltage wiring if you haven't already.
I was going to 6 months after I got it, but then there was talk of us going to Canada so I didn't bother but then we didn't go and I got used to having a transformer.

By the way, does anyone have Clary's details? The Rockshop are dicks and wouldn't tell me who serviced Ampeg.
and what band do you play in?
I play in These Four Walls. http://www.myspace.com/these4walls
What bass/basses are you running through your rig dude?
I use a Warwick Rockbass Corvette and I had Ash put in some seymour duncans in - it really made it sound better. I want a new bass, perhaps a stingray 5 or an authentic Warwick streamer or double humbucker corvette

chrls
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrls »

Alright, alright, alright.

I took your advice. I called Clarry, and he put me on to Mike Diack who does solidstate amps. He rewired it all for me, and I couldn't be happier. It has more balls, and improved tone. And no more transformer. I found a whole lot of schematics and could have rewired it myself, but I spent so much money on it that I was shit scared about doing it wrong :/

Thanks for all the help/comments.