Dodgy rythym and thick strings here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timi
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: What Bass for a beginner

Post by Timi »

Check out some SX or Squire basses.

People seem to be more likely to grow out of the pointy "Ibanez style" quicker than a traditional Fender shape, so in my opinion get a P bass or Jazz bass copy, probably a Jazz due to the thinner neck. It should be easier to sell too if she decides to upgrade or give up.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

In my opinion the best value for money guitars and basses are made by Cort. I had a Cort G series bass, it cost me $399 brand new, and it was an excellent instrument. Very nice to play, easy to set up, active pickups, decent hardware, and a great range of sounds. I wish I never sold it. Will probably but another when I can clear the funds through the boss.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I'm always reluctant to recommend a short scale bass or guitar. It seems like a good idea, but in practice doesn't seem to work out as well as it should. There's also probably something in the vibe of a short scale instrument that says "its just a toy" that can't be good for motivation. Plenty of kids and small handed individuals seems to do just fine on a full scale bass. It also significantly widens the range of instruments to choose from and the chances of selling it on should that be neccesary.

Contrary to an early poster, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an Ashton as a good beginning option. They have a few very useful attributes for your needs.
1. Cheap as
2. Very light, easy for a 14yo to lug around (the current basswood ones)
3. Plentiful both new and used

However, quality at that end of the market being what it is, you do need to find a good example and probably pay some attention to setup and tightening loose pots. Same with anything under $400...

On the other hand, if it isn't a passing phase and SX or Squire P-bass might be a better long term prospect.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

I wonder whether the non use by beginners after a few sessions may be due to other reasons - for example I found it not too hard to get a headache when I first started using one and would play it for umpteen hours at a time - did not help that it had hofner pups which were quite trebly - so I suggest you might like to mention that as a possible problem plus for hecks sake get her an electonic tuner - nothing more frustrating than knoweing it's slightly out of tune but not being able to figure out where and things not sounding right. Now for the inevitable 'I'm bored' moments old issues of Guitar one used to have songs with bass parts tabbed as well as the 6 string parts.
You can't do THAT on stage!

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

My parents bought me a squire P-Bass when I was 12, highly recommended

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

+1 for the Squires. I still use mine live eventhough I've got real Fenders. My kid learned on a Squire P-bass. I prefer the Jazz bass. Oh, and some of the DaisyRock basses looks nice.

Wheels
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Wheels »

Been in exactly this situation myself. My daughter gave it a go. To be honest I made the mistake of getting the cheapest thing you could get thinking she'd lose interest. Sure enough she did lose interest but honestly I put part of the blame on the fact that this bass was wretched to play. Even more annoyingly I've taken up an interest in the bass now and trying to get into a groove with this noname piece of rubbish is impossible.
I'm currently working with a similar budget to you and brands that have caught my eye have all been mentioned, the Squire, Cort, and SX basses all seem to do the job nicely.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Ive been mucking around with some different LTD esp basses, total fun and good for rock.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

ash wrote:I'm always reluctant to recommend a short scale bass or guitar. It seems like a good idea, but in practice doesn't seem to work out as well as it should... Plenty of kids and small handed individuals seems to do just fine on a full scale bass. It also significantly widens the range of instruments to choose from and the chances of selling it on should that be neccesary.
I agree, I learnt on a short scale bass and I always found that it eventually limited my choices. Fender style basses were much more common, but felt huge. I finally had to bite the bullet and learn to s-t-r-e-t-c-h.

If I had to vote for a short scale bass, I'd go for the Epi EB-0 because that Sidewinder pickup has the bassiest sound out there and that sort of makes up for the short scale. Very agile little bass it is, too.

NB: Finding a case can be a bit of a drag.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

rob_on_guitar wrote:Ive been mucking around with some different LTD esp basses, total fun and good for rock.
Yeah, further to the original story, we went looking the other weekend and tried some out in the Rockshop in Welly. A young (as in younger than me, but I'm old) female assistant was very helpful and we were able to try some on for size. In the end my daughter like the LTD Viper (which is an SG shape). Liked it for looks and feel and balance. I thought the sound was good too. Build quality seemed better than some others, particularly the Slammer (by Hamer), - ugh.

So when it comes to buying time we'll go back in and confirm it but it will probably be the LTD Viper by ESP.

I do recommend trying them on for size and feel, as it's different for everyone.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

tj43
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tj43 »

Our Daughter has a ESP B10 bass and amp from the Rockshop but sadly she hardly touches it. The Epiphone EB-0 or EB-3 look very nice, I think the EB3 has a set neck and Music Planet would be a very good place to try after the Rockshop. They may not have one in stock but will source any Epiphone product that you want as will the Rockshop.The Epiphone option may be a little pricey for a beginner but the SG shape looks great. The ESP is okay, it has a small flaw on the back which is a little disappointing but not much you can do really.