hudsonsaul
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Slash - Solo album

Post by hudsonsaul »

This guy recorded Slash's show at the roxy: http://www.youtube.com/user/oddville1#p/u

Only listened to Civil War for nostalgia's sake but will check out the live versions of songs from his album soon.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Hmmm, thanks for the link. I had to stop watching after a few minutes, shaky camerawork and you can only see/hear Slash most of the time.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

listening to it while I do an assignment for uni. loving it, especially the instrumental with Dave Grohl drumming, and the riff work on the whole album is superb. No standout amazing Slash solos so far but I'm sure with more listens, I'll find some gems.
Actually just now the solo on the kid rock track is pretty tight.

EDIT: haven't actually read any of the thread so don't know if it's been said but I love that it's number 1 in the U.S and beat that pre-pubescent turd Justin Bieber
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

The Cornell song is my favourite.

I'm scratching my head over the fact that two of the songs have the same intro. I guess ripping off Sweating Bullets by Megadeth once wasn't enough :?

Interestingly, I read that he thought Dave Mustaine would be great on one of those tracks. I wonder what made him think that? :roll: :lol:

Maybe he's getting back at Dave for this http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... et_1044459

:lol:

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Basket Case wrote:The Cornell song is my favourite.

I'm scratching my head over the fact that two of the songs have the same intro. I guess ripping off Sweating Bullets by Megadeth once wasn't enough :?

Interestingly, I read that he thought Dave Mustaine would be great on one of those tracks. I wonder what made him think that? :roll: :lol:

Maybe he's getting back at Dave for this http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... et_1044459

Ha ha. Classic. Dave and him are old mates from way back.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

I've had this on high-rotate this week, and now I like the Ozzy song - it grew on me something fierce. The Cornell song is a pearler too. Even the Adam Levine one bothers me less.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Which two have the same intro? To be honest, I've only been rotating the 6 or so songs that I really really like, so I've probably missed the rest :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

hamo wrote:I've had this on high-rotate this week, and now I like the Ozzy song - it grew on me something fierce. The Cornell song is a pearler too. Even the Adam Levine one bothers me less.
I read somewhere (hopefully not in this thread :oops:) that Ozzy wrote the lyrics to that song as his take on how GnR fell apart. It's more or less a big stab at Axl:

The fire started long ago
The flames burned out, still embers glow
So charred and black
There's nothing left to burn, to burn

We had the same dream
Lived life to extreme
A loaded gun jammed by a rose

[Chorus]
The thorns are knots around your head
Your ego cursed you till you bled
You cannot crucify the dead
To me you're dead, yeah

The future is unset in stone
Decisions past leave you alone
Betrayed us all with your own selfish greed, your greed, yeah

New soldiers now say
That your beggars collect
Re-crucified and paid by you

[Chorus]

We were like brothers with the world in our hands
You always have too much to say
Someday you look back and you wonder why
You let it all slip away, yeah

[Solo]

Crucify the dead
Crucify the dead

Iiiiinteresting.
slash-ed wrote:Happy birthday bro.
Why thank you! It was a great day, even if I did have to begrudgingly pry my fingers off of my mid 20's. :shock: :cry: :lol: 8)

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

slash-ed wrote:

Which two have the same intro? To be honest, I've only been rotating the 6 or so songs that I really really like, so I've probably missed the rest :lol:
I think it's the one with the A7X singer and the Nick Oliveri one. They're played slightly differently but are essentially the the same. They sound very close to the intro to Sweating Bullets. There's also a part in one of them that sounds a lot like the "bloodstains on my hands/ big axe" etc breakdown part in Sweating Bullets.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

so I've been listening to this for the last week with a fairly bright outlook/expectation and I'm a bit mehzmerized.
nothing stands out.. in contrast after listening to the new kiss and weezer albums recently, songs very quickly became easily identifiable and I 'looked forward to them'... the slash one, not so much.. more of a mesh of sound than a series of songs that stand out (or any do)... to each their own, but this is just wallpaper music to me.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

I'm with Rocky on this one. I'm a bit of a Slash fanboy and when I read the reviews it was getting here I bought it straight away but was completely underwhelmed. I've given it a few listens but nothing jumps out and grabs me like it should. A couple of the songs are cool but definitely not amazing, the solos are mostly boring widdling, and the overall sound of the record/production is very slick and lifeless. I'm a bit gutted about it cos I reckon it held a lot of promise. Just my 2c though, obviously a fair few of you are digging it which is cool!

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

I understand how tastes vary, and this album is proving pretty divisive amongst fans. I just find that this album has had more bang for buck for me than anything for a while.

I will say though, listening to it this morning, that any time you get guest singers on a guitarist's album, it can feel like the tracks are written specifically for the vocalist, rather than the vocalist bringing something to the guitarist's work. This can cause some loss of identity for the album, even if it's kick-ass in most other ways.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

Yea that's a good point. This album is all over the place in parts, sounds exactly like what you've just said about songs being for the vocalist. It loses a bit of cohesion (spelling?). Also, a lot of people seem to bag VR in comparison to this album, and while Libertad was shit I reckon Contraband has a lot more punch and flows a lot nicer.

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

I just got the album, after cycling through it some songs are growing on me. But like others have mentioned already, it almost sounds like a compliation album "Rock Anthems in the Style of GNR Vol 1" or something :lol:

Its the first album I've bought in a decent time..and I don't really regret it.
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I get what people are saying about different vocalists and stuff.
To me the Andrew Stockdale track sounds like it could easily be a Wolfmother song, in fact that's what I thought when I heard it first.
I like it though, i think it's good the album has a diverse sound to it, rather than all the songs sounding like GNR with random guest vocalists, it really sounds like Slash took each vocalists style into consideration and collaborated with them well.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks