robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: The Kiwi Metal Scene

Post by robnobcorncob »

Andy_Chandler wrote: Just a shame the band is nothing like it used to be, gone downhill terribly :(
This annoys me. A lot of bands focus on getting the studio/engineer or a big name producer rather than their music. 99% of the time the results are that you can hear shit songs really clearly! Not pointing the finger at anyone but I've seen more of this lately in NZ and it annoys me.

Andy_Chandler
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Andy_Chandler »

Check out Ulcerate, they do everything themselves, in house - arguably one of the best in the world in their genre.

http://www.ulcerate-official.com/

it wont be everyones cup of tea, I can guarantee that now haha, but the attention to detail, and professionalism, is flawless. That and Jamie Saint Merat is not human.
http://www.andhechandler.com
Endorsements : Ibanez Guitars, Macbeth Footwear.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

robnobcorncob wrote:
Andy_Chandler wrote: Just a shame the band is nothing like it used to be, gone downhill terribly :(
This annoys me. A lot of bands focus on getting the studio/engineer or a big name producer rather than their music. 99% of the time the results are that you can hear shit songs really clearly! Not pointing the finger at anyone but I've seen more of this lately in NZ and it annoys me.
Im going to have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. Relentless for me is dawns best release. Crisp clean production, great songwriting, heaps of groove and variety. Jeremy is a much better drummer than martin and gives dawn the groove and tightness it needed. Plus the solos on the album rule! The other releases suffered from lower production, repititive drumming and the songs are nowhere near "progressive" as the newer stuff. Joe is a rediculious guitarist and songwriter. Rob, the newer songs are a huge step up, musically.

Ulcerate are an amazing band also. Been thrashing it a lot lately. Coming from a more "hardcore/punk" background, i struggle a bit to listen to anything too dissonant/bleak/dischordish so just based on thag, i prefer dawns newer stuff cause of the groove.

Not that i would take anything away from either bands, jamie is an amazing drummer. Just personal taste.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by xCaptainx »

Posting from phone, excuse the grammar/spelling.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

xCaptainx wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:
Im going to have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. Relentless for me is dawns best release. Crisp clean production, great songwriting, heaps of "Grove" and variety. Jeremy is a much better drummer than martin and gives dawn the "Grove" and tightness it needed. Plus the solos on the album rule! The other releases suffered from lower production, repititive drumming and the songs are nowhere near "progressive" as the newer stuff. Joe is a rediculious guitarist and songwriter. Rob, the newer songs are a huge step up, musically.

Ulcerate are an amazing band also. Been thrashing it a lot lately. Coming from a more "hardcore/punk" background, i struggle a bit to listen to anything too dissonant/bleak/dischordish so just based on thag, i prefer dawns newer stuff cause of the "Grove".

Not that i would take anything away from either bands, jamie is an amazing drummer. Just personal taste.
Hey bro, should've said I wasn't pointing the finger at Dawn of Azazel. Never really listen to them so I can't judge. My post was aimed at other bands who I won't name here. Not all bands who go for the big name producer/studio role are created equal, it works out great for some of them.

Ulcerate are wicked though !

devolutionary

Post by devolutionary »

You know the biggest issue I have with NZ metal? I find it hard to take any of them seriously. Half of them don't seem to put in any effort or even contemplate evolving in any way, and the other half seem to have members I know better as "those little shits my cousin and little brother used to hang out with". I'm only now starting to see stuff I really like after seeing Fornax at Meshuggah and branching out from there. I can finally listen to some NZ metal without feeling either disgust or feeling like a grumpy older brother/cousin.

I suspect I have exposure (guffaw guffaw) issues - I simply don't see enough bands out there. I should fix that.

Andy_Chandler
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Andy_Chandler »

xCaptainx wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:
Im going to have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. Relentless for me is dawns best release. Crisp clean production, great songwriting, heaps of "Grove" and variety. Jeremy is a much better drummer than martin and gives dawn the "Grove" and tightness it needed. Plus the solos on the album rule! The other releases suffered from lower production, repititive drumming and the songs are nowhere near "progressive" as the newer stuff. Joe is a rediculious guitarist and songwriter. Rob, the newer songs are a huge step up, musically.

Ulcerate are an amazing band also. Been thrashing it a lot lately. Coming from a more "hardcore/punk" background, i struggle a bit to listen to anything too dissonant/bleak/dischordish so just based on thag, i prefer dawns newer stuff cause of the "Grove".

Didn't you just join these guys?

Matt_Demise
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Matt_Demise »

Andy_Chandler wrote: Jamie Saint Merat is not human.
+1,000,000

Crazy to watch

Matt_Demise
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Matt_Demise »

willow13 wrote:from the promo vid you put up it didn't sound "all that" to me production wise........maybe it was just the quality in the vid....I guess time (and the guys on here) will tell :lol:
Promo vid does not = album

Fler
Squier
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Fler »

Matt_Demise wrote:
Andy_Chandler wrote: Jamie Saint Merat is not human.
+1,000,000

Crazy to watch
Indeed. Dude's pretty nuts. Not my fave drummer I've seen in the local scene, that would go to a bloke I worked with who unfortunately turned into a total douchebag, but still...Jamie is probably the most consistent and extreme metal drummer around with little competition. Blokes nailed his style.

Other awesome drummer = Corey Friedlander. Really dig the dudes style, plus a downright good cat.
(((Òran Mór

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by xCaptainx »

Andy - no i havent. Lol is tht why they have gone downhill? ;) hehe.

Andy_Chandler
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Andy_Chandler »

Nah, they have gone downhill album by album. Rigel used to have a better voice too.

Law of the Strong ~ Present (I haven't heard the new album so can't speak on that) has been a continual downward spiral imo.

war-wolf
Gibson

Post by war-wolf »

+1 to the above...
Moser 10- BCR ironbird custom 7-Gibson Voodoo sg-
Sunn O)))model T - SunnO))4x12"-EHX Cathedral-EHX POG2-digitech EX7-boss rc2-ibanez de7-
Marshall jcm 800 silver jubilee combo(2558)-Blackwidow 15"

war-wolf
Gibson

Post by war-wolf »

had to actually write plus one as this stupid german keyboard has no plus sign symbol,stupid germans!!!
Moser 10- BCR ironbird custom 7-Gibson Voodoo sg-
Sunn O)))model T - SunnO))4x12"-EHX Cathedral-EHX POG2-digitech EX7-boss rc2-ibanez de7-
Marshall jcm 800 silver jubilee combo(2558)-Blackwidow 15"

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4256 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dredge, been listening to tainteds album today, the one from 2008, pretty cool, be interested to see what they come up with next :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.