Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Re: Worship Mob

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:I love the period where there was a little old lady working her magic on a big organ down the back of the church :)
joking aside, thats what church is about for me. That and the bit in the blues brothers with James Brown singing Gospel - if I could find a church like that I'd go every week.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

BG wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I love the period where there was a little old lady working her magic on a big organ down the back of the church :)
joking aside, thats what church is about for me. That and the bit in the blues brothers with James Brown singing Gospel - if I could find a church like that I'd go every week.
when I lived in canada I went a church like that in the poorest/worst part of town. We were the only white people, and I think that is where I feel in love with honest music that comes from the soul

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bbrunskill wrote:
BG wrote:
when I lived in canada I went a church like that in the poorest/worst part of town. We were the only white people, and I think that is where I feel in love with honest music that comes from the soul
That would be awesome :)
I did use to love belting all the old hymns out at church though, I find it very hard to enthuse about the cliched U2 bands or happy clappy stuff.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Kev77 wrote:I had a mate who had moved and started going along to a big deal church in Akld,
He's a sick player and really skilled accompanist , so he rocked up and asks about helping out with the music.
he had to audition, he had to have "professional" gear and then , and then...
I've had a go writing some new music for our congregation and man the resistance is massive and the the equal amount of support.
I think generally we need to drop the idea that music is worship, it can be - but like BB said so is helping a mate move house or keeping your trap shut.
There's definitely something powerful about a congregation singing together though. But at my church we introduced new songs every month and the congregation couldn't keep up. But yeah it's sad when a person with heaps of talent is shunned because the don't 'fit the mold'. One of the best bass players I know rocked up to our worship practice for months without ever getting a shot, because he didn't fit the mold.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

BG wrote:
Amen to that! Can you see the light!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Worship Mob

Post by KentNZ »

It annoys me when I hear about larger churches not giving people chances to play... Though very community has it's own ways.

Man, we're in a tiny little place and basically have nobody. Any of the above mentioned 'shunned' Musos can give me a call. :)
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Worship Mob

Post by KentNZ »

Every.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

BG wrote:I did use to love belting all the old hymns out at church though, I find it very hard to enthuse about the cliched U2 bands or happy clappy stuff.
What, like "Through The Red Sea Brought At Last" and that sort of thing? I remember bits of a heap of them in The Living Parish Hymn Book, though I doubt people still sing them.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Vince wrote:
BG wrote:I did use to love belting all the old hymns out at church though, I find it very hard to enthuse about the cliched U2 bands or happy clappy stuff.
What, like "Through The Red Sea Brought At Last" and that sort of thing? I remember bits of a heap of them in The Living Parish Hymn Book, though I doubt people still sing them.
Dunno about that one, but belting out a righteous version of Onward Christian Soldiers at full volume in a club singer voice always amused.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

BG wrote:
Vince wrote:
Dunno about that one, but belting out a righteous version of Onward Christian Soldiers at full volume in a club singer voice always amused.
Lol, yeah! I remember that one. :lol: Bit naff, the old hymns, but it was great having music and singing and all that. Thinking back on it now, it was kind of silly to refer to them by numbers though. "We shall now sing hymn 43". Sold them short, I suppose, treating them like commodities. Maybe they were... who knows?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Bit easier for people to find 'em that way, is all.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

This guy, Will Reagan, is doing some stuff which is great, at least to me. And moves away from the old formula a bit...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4x0zG0O7bg[/youtube]

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

There are plenty of churches that still do the hyms you guys love so much. Yet you're not going, because as much as you say you love them, they're not actually keeping you coming back. Modern churches are trying to actually keep people coming in and not let them die of boredom.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

mr_sooty wrote:There are plenty of churches that still do the hyms you guys love so much. Yet you're not going, because as much as you say you love them, they're not actually keeping you coming back. Modern churches are trying to actually keep people coming in and not let them die of boredom.
To be fair, I stopped going as I got to an age where my parents couldn't force me to go any more :mental: