50%
ABBA
20%

Total votes: 40

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Tsuken »

1964 wrote:IMO, Jimi is grossly overrated. I wonder how he'd have fared if he'd lived on? Would he be as criticized as all the other old time greats?
I've often wondered what would have happened if he had lived. I don't think his impact would have been as great, had he not died so early. For me, despite his lack of clean technical facility, and the (very) repeated pentatonics, he was - and remains - absolutely amazing. There's something about his playing that bends my brain, and reels me over a couple of dimensional planes ;) After watching Blue Wild Angel (live at the Isle of Wight) I felt stoned for about the next 4 or 5 hours. It was the weirdest thing. I wouldn't be playing if it weren't for him, so I couldn't really vote for anyone else.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I'll laugh if ABBA beats Iron Maiden :mrgreen:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

Tsuken wrote:There's something about his playing that bends my brain, and reels me over a couple of dimensional planes ;) After watching Blue Wild Angel (live at the Isle of Wight) I felt stoned for about the next 4 or 5 hours. It was the weirdest thing. I wouldn't be playing if it weren't for him, so I couldn't really vote for anyone else.
Thats how I felt at the Satch concert.
AFK.

universe
Stagg
Stagg

Post by universe »

same here at the Vai concert, possibly the most amazing night of my life

I watched a Jimi Hendrix video many times when I was 18, left big impressions...the one with the acoustic 12 string 'hear my train a coming'

I do wonder though how he would've fared if he never used drugs, he certainly didn't appear to be as prodigious in his youth as some young cats eg. umm Jason Becker!

He is the king of facial expressions though :P

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I think with Jimi, love him, hate him or just not bothered about him, it can be said that he did change guitar playing for thousands of axemen. Maybe he wouldn't have lasted, maybe he'd have joined the Rolling Stones or Creed, who knows? He was an innovator.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I agree whole heartedly, and that's the only reason I voted for him.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

universe wrote:
He is the king of facial expressions though :P
Sorry, Vai is the king of that.

after seeing him live, half of his performance is in his face.
AFK.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

nah, gary moore is :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Post by 1964 »

Rog wrote:Isn't ABBA #3 on the best selling list of all times? Only behind Elvis and the Beatles?
Absolutely.

Post by 1964 »

Rog wrote:I think with Jimi, love him, hate him or just not bothered about him, it can be said that he did change guitar playing for thousands of axemen. Maybe he wouldn't have lasted, maybe he'd have joined the Rolling Stones or Creed, who knows? He was an innovator.
I thank him wholeheartedly for one thing, and that is putting the Strat firmly back on the map. If it weren't for Jimi, the Strat would likely have long-since disappeared from Fender's catalogue, yet now continues to be the world's most popular guitar.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

ABBA are sentimental favourites, and possibly my favourite (or at least most listened-to) band ever.

But I voted for the Irons.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

Even though Jimi has never really done it for me, and I get sick of seeing him on the Cover of Guitar Player, World etc etc... he was a major factor in what shaped years to come. I don't think anyone else turned things on their head as much until the arrival of VH. It's probably better he did go when he did, or he may have ended up where Eddie is ... lost :?
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

universe
Stagg
Stagg

Post by universe »

bluesgeek wrote:nah, gary moore is :)
his normal face is a facial expression

vai' s the king of fake facial expressions anyway, can't help but laugh :lol:

Stormbringer
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Stormbringer »

Like a few others I'm not the biggest fan of Jimi (though friends always look at you funny after you tell them). Huge Maiden fan though, so there it goes!

vacant
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 2 times

Post by vacant »

No brainer, up the irons. Jimi was more inspirational to the masses but I never really caught on, I have no doubt he was brilliant though
I've been trying to justify you, in the end I will just defy you.