ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

David Lindley

Post by ash »

In my search for Weissenborn coolness I found this vid linked from NZ luthier Paddy Burgin's website. Paddy made the guitars used in this clip. Turns out the player, David Lindley played lots of the lap steel parts most of us of have ever heard on radio and TV. With Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon, Linda Ronstadt et al.

The first song is just fantastic. After the first listen I decided that I want to play just like that... But having listened to vids of other people trying, I'm not sure anyone can do it quite the way David Lindley does.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTS0fkQ ... re=related[/youtube]
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Re: David Lindley

Post by Tsuken »

way cool 8) That's a lovely sound. Cool song too
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Exellent find ! That guy is cool az. What type of tuning do lap steels run? (Generally)
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

ash wrote:Turns out the player, David Lindley played lots of the lap steel parts most of us of have ever heard on radio and TV. With Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon, Linda Ronstadt et al.
He's also the guy that does the falsetto "Oh won't you sta-aaaayyyy just a little bit longer" on that Jackson Browne song, isn't he?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: WHAT? You have not heard of him. Man start with El Rayo X , and then any Zevon, Ry Cooder, etc etc etc recording by any 70's or 80's band using lap steel you wish...guy was a frickin genius on lap and slide

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

Timoes wrote:Exellent find ! That guy is cool az. What type of tuning do lap steels run? (Generally)
C6, E9, Em and G seem to be the more common ones for the likes of a 6 string; 8, and 10 strings lend themselves to more complex chords like the 11ths and 13ths where you don't have to slew the tone bar to get minor or major chords as I do on a 6 string.
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

k1w1 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: WHAT? You have not heard of him. Man start with El Rayo X , and then any Zevon, Ry Cooder, etc etc etc recording by any 70's or 80's band using lap steel you wish...guy was a frickin genius on lap and slide
I was kind of surprised too, but thought "Hey, maybe he's not as famous as I thought" :D

Interesting instrument collection that he has

http://www.davidlindley.com/instruments.html
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Well, I've never heard of him either, but man - those whiskers have got to go! I couldn't hear the music for looking at them in fear. :D
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Rog wrote:Well, I've never heard of him either, but man - those whiskers have got to go! I couldn't hear the music for looking at them in fear. :D
Well, you write to him and tell him, Rog. :lol:

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

WHAT? You have not heard of him. Man start with El Rayo X , and then any Zevon, Ry Cooder, etc etc etc recording by any 70's or 80's band using lap steel you wish...guy was a frickin genius on lap and slide
I had unknowingly heard him play lots and lots of times on all those '70s California country crossover records and whatnot, but never knew his name or that it was often the same guy. I was explaining to a friend what I was watching and she knew exactly who he was, having seen him play in Canada in the '90s. I wonder if he ever comes here, to WOMAD or something...

He's also the guy that does the falsetto "Oh won't you sta-aaaayyyy just a little bit longer" on that Jackson Browne song, isn't he
I didn't know that either. I've listend to that song a whole lot. It's stuck in my head right now.

Interesting aside: The long lap steel slide that opens the Warner Brothers cartoon theme music was played by Freddy Travares, one of the big deals in Fender history and the guy who drew up the plans for the first Stratocaster prototype.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

ash wrote:
He's also the guy that does the falsetto "Oh won't you sta-aaaayyyy just a little bit longer" on that Jackson Browne song, isn't he
I didn't know that either. I've listend to that song a whole lot. It's stuck in my head right now.
I never twigged either (I'm not a big JB fan) until I saw it on video years later.
ash wrote: Interesting aside: The long lap steel slide that opens the Warner Brothers cartoon theme music was played by Freddy Travares, one of the big deals in Fender history and the guy who drew up the plans for the first Stratocaster prototype.

Wow, I had no idea. That's a cool bit of trivia!

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Vince wrote:
Rog wrote:Well, I've never heard of him either, but man - those whiskers have got to go! I couldn't hear the music for looking at them in fear. :D
I already have.
Told him my name was Vince Cabrera and he should get his shit together or I'll send some bros over to mess him up.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

I really dig the 2nd song. :D
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Rog wrote:
Vince wrote:
I already have.
Told him my name was Vince Cabrera and he should get his shit together or I'll send some bros over to mess him up.
Oh, shit... :shock: :(

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Apologies for the Dredge!

David Lindley also played on this! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G3rpMurkX4&feature=kp[/youtube]

and he plays an old Weissenborn Kona Style 3 on this (solo at 2:19)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1es3AGPsQk[/youtube]

He's also in fine form with Jackson Browne on the 'Love is Strange' live album, playing Violin, lap steel and Oud (amongst other things).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnL1P6rQk60[/youtube]

And you can't go past Lindley and Ry Cooder together. Lindley's right hand has some crazy percussive swing to it which is impossible to emulate!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN29JWzlEPc[/youtube]