Moderator: Capt. Black

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Band Documentaries

Post by sgt mukuzi »

+ 1 for cold chisel

Hey Vince, in the 80`s Barnsie went over again...
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

sgt mukuzi wrote:+ 1 for cold chisel

Yea, I saw Jimmy Barnes on a documentary about the recording of his soul album, while touring around the southern states (of America).

Oh, and here is the Chisel documentary (part 1 of 6):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfU_v42S7M[/youtube]
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

The Two Metallica vids that came out back in the day of the recording and touring of the black album was the biz. But I was a youngin may not have the same affect when watched today.

Ooo... just unearthed my vid of Pantera Vulgar Video the other day.. that was pretty mint... dont have a VHS though :roll:

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

sgt mukuzi wrote:+ 1 for cold chisel

Yes, but AFAIK, Chisel itself didn't. The story I heard at the time was that Chisel was just too weird for Americans. Their setlist was too varied and they couldn't be pigeonholed for any specific market but I wouldn't know if that's true or not.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

sgt mukuzi wrote: in the 80`s Barnsie went over again...
... and came back with his tail between his legs again.

"Freight Train Heart" was the album he recorded over there with all the AOR guests on it (dudes from Journey etc). Meh.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Jenesis wrote: "Freight Train Heart" was the album he recorded over there with all the AOR guests on it (dudes from Journey etc). Meh.
Actually, I find it hard to feel anything but nonplussed by Jimmy Barnes. On his own, he's just this generic hard rock singer. The whole point of Chisel was that they had all these contrasts. They were fronted by this bogan but they had intelligent songs and occasional jazzy influences.

In the end, it looks like the world settled for having just the bogan, maybe they'd always preferred the bogan, but really... he's not that good on his own.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

Vince wrote: The whole point of Chisel was that they had all these contrasts. They were fronted by this bogan but they had intelligent songs and occasional jazzy influences.
True; I could listen to Don Walker play for hours.. and Ian Moss! :D The band was certainly greater than the sum of the parts, eh!!! And as a live act they were unsurpassed, certainly while I was over there...
In the end, it looks like the world settled for having just the bogan, maybe they'd always preferred the bogan, but really... he's not that good on his own.
Agreed... reluctantly!! :mrgreen:
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

corsair wrote: True; I could listen to Don Walker play for hours.. and Ian Moss! :D The band was certainly greater than the sum of the parts, eh!!! And as a live act they were unsurpassed, certainly while I was over there...
Were they what! :D

I just remembered... I don't think they were in that "Long Way To The Top" doco that the ABC put out some years ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/longway/artist_index/

Wonder what the hell that was all about..? An Oz rock history that doesn't mention Chisel?? :shock:

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Vince wrote:
Jenesis wrote: "Freight Train Heart" was the album he recorded over there with all the AOR guests on it (dudes from Journey etc). Meh.
Actually, I find it hard to feel anything but nonplussed by Jimmy Barnes. On his own, he's just this generic hard rock singer. The whole point of Chisel was that they had all these contrasts. They were fronted by this bogan but they had intelligent songs and occasional jazzy influences.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan either but I do like his early "shouty anthem" stuff. When he started to add pop-rock elements and then shove the soul man shtick down out throats I tuned out with a quickness.

voice of reason
Stagg
Stagg

Post by voice of reason »

Prime TV are showing a Doco on Mondays @ 9.35
Last week was Roxy Music - was excellent, a couple of weeks ago was Freddie / Queen
This week is Tom Jones ... so I'm waiting to see what's on next week

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Tom Jones, might get to see some flash undies..
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I've seen a Smashing Pumpkins documentary, maybe it was a subset of some other documentary though. But he talks about getting signed straight away and the first venue they played (Which was a big club) and stuff. It's a weird story, story of a radio band

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Timoes »

Not sure wheather anyone has posted this, but tonight Prime TV doco is Guns "N" Roses. 9:30. on Prime. And see the new Tv One ad about Tv One has Joy Division as the music. "Atmosphere" [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq1H38mU ... re=related[/youtube]

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Timoes »

And QUICK QUICK ! Mark Knofler on chanel ones current affairs programme. Cant remmeber the name. :?:

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Close Up, coming to you live from a Dunedin street full of posers and yobbos. Now that's current affairs.