Moderator: Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: VH...maybe at last

Post by slash-ed »

Scooter13 wrote:5150 mini "Its smaller size and portability make it a perfect amp for players who want arena volume, tone, and performance in a compact package".
Good thing I want arena volume as it's still 50W...squished in to a smaller package.
I do not understand this post
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I don't understand the whole mini thing if you are still making a BIG amplifier. Would the smaller footprint of the circuit come at the cost of something else? (smaller OT, tubes closer together...). If not then great. Why are all other 50W amps still as large as their 100W counterparts. Or is this the revolution? Finally they are making them smaller for us weaklings.

I'm just saying I'm not sure I get it, with it still being 50W. If it was in the 15W - 20W range like the Mesa's, Orange's etc etc then fine.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Its not really that physically small anyway. I think they are just jumping on the naming bandwagon.
Ummm....

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

sopachrga wrote:Its not really that physically small anyway. I think they are just jumping on the naming bandwagon.
Yeah (The 4140 not quite as big as the 5150 but not really mini). Thinking about it during my team meeting (clearly paying attention), maybe 50W amps are as large as their 100W brothers because it's easier to design the same circuit and chassis to one spec?

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Scooter13 wrote:I don't understand the whole mini thing if you are still making a BIG amplifier. Would the smaller footprint of the circuit come at the cost of something else? (smaller OT, tubes closer together...). If not then great. Why are all other 50W amps still as large as their 100W counterparts. Or is this the revolution? Finally they are making them smaller for us weaklings.

I'm just saying I'm not sure I get it, with it still being 50W. If it was in the 15W - 20W range like the Mesa's, Orange's etc etc then fine.
Yeah it's just a naming thing. The baby 5153 is the size of a Mesa Mark series head, so it's not exactly lunchbox sized.

If these ones don't catch on fire, then they might even be pretty cool! Can't deny that Eddie usually has superb tone.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

The 5153 mini isn't much smaller than a small box 50w marshall plexi head. It definitely not a lunchbox amp, where I've always figured the deal was small enough to go in an overhead cabin for a fly date.

It is, however, 'mini' compared to it's freakin' enormous big brother.

The mini head seems convenient in terms of features, wattage etc. But I can't get excited about trying it. Haven't even touched the 5153 yet. Maybe I have some mental block regarding Ed amps because of my experiences with the Peaveys. Or maybe it was that pete Thorn demo where he made it sound like a Soldano. But I think it's probably the fact that I own a plexi and a cab with greenbacks.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Hot_Grits wrote: The mini head seems convenient in terms of features, wattage etc. But I can't get excited about trying it. Haven't even touched the 5153 yet. Maybe I have some mental block regarding Ed amps because of my experiences with the Peaveys. Or maybe it was that pete Thorn demo where he made it sound like a Soldano. But I think it's probably the fact that I own a plexi and a cab with greenbacks.
Dude you gotta check the Fender/EVH amps out. They have all the Soldano-y/Peavey-y thing going on with channel 3, but Channel 2 is pure hot-rodded Marshall.

I've always really dug the Fender/EVH amps, but I've been majorly GAS-ing for one since watching Steel Panther and hearing Satchel's godlike tone from a 5150-III
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

NZRS_Matt wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote: The mini head seems convenient in terms of features, wattage etc. But I can't get excited about trying it. Haven't even touched the 5153 yet. Maybe I have some mental block regarding Ed amps because of my experiences with the Peaveys. Or maybe it was that pete Thorn demo where he made it sound like a Soldano. But I think it's probably the fact that I own a plexi and a cab with greenbacks.
Dude you gotta check the Fender/EVH amps out. They have all the Soldano-y/Peavey-y thing going on with channel 3, but Channel 2 is pure hot-rodded Marshall.

I've always really dug the Fender/EVH amps, but I've been majorly GAS-ing for one since watching Steel Panther and hearing Satchel's godlike tone from a 5150-III
The 5153 can distance itself quite nicely from the angry wasps farting in a tin can (but with less bottom end) sonic beauty of the PV amps. Certainly enough to make it worth overcoming existing 515x prejudices... perhaps the experience will only form new ones, but hey they are worth plugging into at least once...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

NZRS_Matt wrote:

A third channel that sounds like a Peavey/Soldano and a moment of revelation involving Steel Panther? -kind of the exact opposite way you need to go if you're intending to get me excited about a piece of gear.

Maybe I'll give a 5153 a crack if I find myself in a country that stocks them with enough time on my hands. BKK this weekend and fingers crossed I have enough time to get to the shops there, but pedals are the focus right now. Timmy and WET.

TBH amps aren't really a priority issue for me at the minute. I haven't really thought about trying any marshall style amps at all since Ryan last worked on my purple head and got the green(back) cab. In the same way that my Victoria keeps my tweed GAS in a permanent state of retardation.

I'd still love to one day grab a 65 London head or possibly a similar Morgan. And maybe a blackface bassman head. But that's a different food group kind of thing.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Hot_Grits wrote:A third channel that sounds like a Peavey/Soldano and a moment of revelation involving Steel Panther? -kind of the exact opposite way you need to go if you're intending to get me excited about a piece of gear.
but man 15/20 years ago that would be a front pants fill.....right
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Hot_Grits wrote:.....since Ryan last worked on my purple head
Hehehehehehehehe
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

willow13 wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:A third channel that sounds like a Peavey/Soldano and a moment of revelation involving Steel Panther? -kind of the exact opposite way you need to go if you're intending to get me excited about a piece of gear.
but man 15/20 years ago that would be a front pants fill.....right
I remember being pretty interested when the 5150 came out, then trying one and losing all that interest on the spot.

In recent years I've gigged a couple of times with them when I didn't cart my own stuff and tbh they're not too bad. And I've heard them sound amazing for modern heavy stuff. I've even heard skilled Ed-heads make them sound pretty Ed-like, with the help of Greenbacks.

But when I was 19 my reaction was 'where have they hidden the brown sound?'

Soldanos are a different matter. There was a buzz about them among local shop dudes, which was mainly due to every hair-dude using them them. I definitely would have tried one if they were around, though I was very much guitar-obsessed rather than amp-obsessed back then (and sounded terrible as a result).

Then, eventually, the less expensive models were imported and Grant Wills (half of G2D in case you're wondering -the big hair half) imported his own SLO. But by the time all this happened I'd pretty much stopped playing and my tastes and listening material shifted dramatically.

Funnily enough, I did end up owning a Soldano briefly a few years back. A purchase which baffles me in retrospect. Especially considering how little I liked all those classic Soldano sounds -Suit and bob-era Clapton, REALLYOBVIOUSBLUES-era Gary Moore, 'Judgement day' off FUCK, Late-Straits Knopfler...

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

And Dave explains why the tour's going on hold, http://vimeo.com/42480835

matman