ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Eric's Greatest hit

Post by ash »

Since Mr. Claptons name has been taken in vain lately, lets look at which part of his discography is the greatest or if you prefer, the least crap and least fogey-esque.

http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

I had to choose Sunshine of your Love from that selection :( I actually like much of his earlier stuff and a lot of his recent stuff (riding with the king era) better, but Cream is always a safe bet :)

Their reunion should prove to be interesting
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

i dont like any of it, especially not layla
"I am the Black Wizard"

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Whilst I can understand the emotion motivating you to write a song about a tragic event in your life, releasing it as a single and putting it on an LP to sell is cashing in.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and how could you miss

Edge of Darkness

and

Pros and Cons of Hitchiking????

They are probably my favourites of all!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Tehhaxorr wrote:i dont like any of it, especially not layla

I think the layla sessions are one of the greatest albums of all time. Considering Duane was 21 when he recorded it. Clapton was so high it is amazing that he actually finished it.

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

TMG 03 wrote:
Tehhaxorr wrote:i dont like any of it, especially not layla

I think the layla sessions are one of the greatest albums of all time. Considering Duane was 21 when he recorded it. Clapton was so high it is amazing that he actually finished it.
Dose not change the fact that i think it sucks
"I am the Black Wizard"

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Me thinks Tehhaxorr is the acting devil's advocate when it comes to EC...........the avatar is the give away,mmmm and maybe the prose :shock:
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

bluesgeek wrote:oh and how could you miss
Edge of Darkness and
Pros and Cons of Hitchiking????
They are probably my favourites of all!
I don't know them by name, although I'd probably know them when I hear them. I just rattled 10 off the top of my head that cover the greater part of his career. If I got my Cream CDs out, I'd probably change the list again!

My vote was for Crossroads, but I nearly gave it to Badge. Its a close call, but they're different kinds of songs and Crossroads is more impressive from a guitar playing point of view.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Pros and Cons is the Roger Waters album he played on :)

Edge of Darkness was a TV Series back in the early 80's he did the music for, it came out on EP around about that time, its very evocative and made the series ;)

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

Edge of Darkness is a bloody good nuclear peril, govt coverup ripping yarn. I've got the BBC DVD of it which also has the soundtrack seperate - very haunting and it cleaned up the BAFTA's in 86.

Catch it if you can.
raz

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Badge was my all time Favourite Clapton song. The live version of it on 24 nights and live in Hyde park are great. Now I think his version of come back baby and Tore down are my top two.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I can't pick any from the list. Matter of fact I simply do not have a favourite anything (other than my family, of course). What I like today, may not be that which I am into tomorrow (and vice versa - lol).

Some days, Further on up the Road totally rocks my world, other days I prefer Tearing us Apart (I love the live version with Knofler, Collins, Elton et al). However, although I like the song Lay Down Sally, imo, that is THE second worst lead break I have ever heard, from any recording artist - coming a close second to some Steely Dan synth break I dimly recall.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Rog wrote:I can't pick any from the list. Matter of fact I simply do not have a favourite anything (other than my family, of course). What I like today, may not be that which I am into tomorrow (and vice versa - lol).

Some days, Further on up the Road totally rocks my world, other days I prefer Tearing us Apart (I love the live version with Knofler, Collins, Elton et al). However, although I like the song Lay Down Sally, imo, that is THE second worst lead break I have ever heard, from any recording artist - coming a close second to some Steely Dan synth break I dimly recall.
No offence, but your continually 'middle of the road', 'dont tend toward anything', 'neither salt or pepper', type attitude can be very annoying at times Rog. SOmetimes you just want someone to express something.... other than purple ;)

Post by Guest »

Hi Zakk - no offence taken, mate, sorry my life offends you - but that's just who I am. Maybe you'll be like that when you're 56 years old too - who knows? Us old farts have seen a lot of things, made a lot of wrong choices and have, in general learned a lot of things, including that there is simply no such animal as the best of anything.

I sincerely do not have any favourites. I sincerely will listen to anything and might like it one day and not the next. I sincerely do not have a favourite car, guitar, movie, song, genre, food, sport, etc. I'm a fickle old fella - :-)

You are right though - I will go out of my way to not offend anyone. I don't believe that a strong viewpoint is either necessary nor desirable. In fact I loathe strongly opinionated people. I am middle of the road - that's just who I am.

If my way of life offends y'all, I'll just piss off somewhere else - no problems!