ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Kiwi Music Month

Post by ash »

Since this is indeed NZ Music Month, lets reminisce in the glory of this nations finest musical products for a moment.

Who are you favourite/best/most respected/most fondly remembered NZ musicians, songwriters, performers, and bands over the years.

Further to that which songs and music stand out as some of the finest this land has produced?

Let me start the ball rolling with the honourable mention of Bic Runga, Dave Dobbyn, Message To My Girl and lately Welcome Home.

What say you, Savage :?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

In Order I like them
Exponents, Feelers, Dragon, Shihad, Opshop, Goodshirt, Tadpole, Fur Patrol, Mockers, DD Smash (not dave dobbyn), Hello Sailor, Split Enz before Neil Finn took over.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

My favourites are Split Enz (not so much the earliest stuff with Phil Judd; I like the brothers Finn), DD Smash (and some solo Dobbyn), and Dragon. There are various other songs here and there I absolutely love; like Marsha (I think) Counting the Beat, Dominion Rd... what I've heard of the Dance Exponents, and the Mockers... lots really, but I can't think of them all just now.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

The only kiwi album I have is the Exponents ;) and I bought that 2nd hand on cassette (bloody farty 4wd doesn't have a CD player)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

8 Foot Sativa, Shihad, Dawn of Azazel, World War 4, and Shakhan.
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

I have to say FOR ME (please note the PERSONAL preference) the best Kiwi band ever would have to be WETA. It REALLY sux they broke up. They had SOOOO much potential and were bloody awesome.
Others that rate high for me are Shihad, Mossflower, Fur Patrol, Goldenhorse, Betchadupa, Mightyscoop and of course....my own band antihero. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Little by little, by hook or by crook

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

in no particular order:

the feelers, zed, bic runga, shihad, steriogram..

and although not particularly fond of these guys, i like their style of music (where are they now..?)

the Datsuns and the Have

ratfink
Thunderbird IV

Post by ratfink »

angry_young_poet wrote:in no particular order:

the feelers, zed, bic runga, shihad, steriogram..

and although not particularly fond of these guys, i like their style of music (where are they now..?)

the Datsuns and the Have
yup all those + the D4, and Concord Dawn - not strictly guitar music obviously but amazingly talented NZ musicians
"And I want a bike and a monkey and a friend for the monkey." - Ralph Wiggum

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Super Groove and Strawpeople were two I really liked.

Dave Dobbyn would have to be my favourite Kiwi musician.
The Twist Album of his is very good. Almost John Hiatt like.

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

8 foot sativa, Subctact, DOA, WW4
"I am the Black Wizard"

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Listening to Supergroove now, its easier to see why they didn't make more impact overseas (Germany excluded, even Hasselhoff made it there ;). They were a little less polished than we are used to hearing from current local acts. They definetly earned a place in the archives with their live performances.

I second the mention of Goldenhorse, Don't Fight it Marsha, Its Bigger Than the Both of Us and Shihad.

I still can't come to grips with DO Azazel and WW4. Just too aggressive for my tastes. Did some guitar work for Joe in Azazel recently.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Kloppsta wrote:I have to say FOR ME (please note the PERSONAL preference) the best Kiwi band ever would have to be WETA. It REALLY sux they broke up. They had SOOOO much potential and were bloody awesome.
Can't agree more. Heaps of potential, just a failure of internal politics like so many units. The Tokona brothers (vocals/guitars & bass) and the lead guitarist have formed a new band in Australia though. Hopefully something due later in the year.

I prefer the underground NZ music scene, bands like The Nova Echo, We Dunno, Cold By Winter, NeWayHome etc, but as far as the more publically successful groups/artists go, things I dig include Sommerset, Kitsch, Shihad, Pluto, Goldenhorse, The D4, The Datsuns and Fur Patrol.

Don't get me started on how much I loathe the feelers (but that's because I have a personal grievance with one of them due to an incident some years back). From a musical POV, they're okay, but everything they release only sounds slightly varying from one song to the next to my ears.

On the upside, new Shihad = good. A return to more of a "Killjoy" kind of sound.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Hey, ACDC release the same album every 5 years and everyone buys it!

I think its funny when you listen to a station like the rock trying to promote guys like the finns and dobbyn these days. trying to hype up cd's of soppy acoustic ballads on a rock station. Frankly I cant stand any of it.

There are some great new kiwi rock bands for sure!
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

ratfink
Thunderbird IV

Post by ratfink »

The Scarecrow wrote:..but as far as the more publically successful groups/artists go, things I dig include Sommerset, Kitsch, Shihad, Pluto, Goldenhorse, The D4, The Datsuns and Fur Patrol..
Pluto really impress me as a live act, but seem to lose something in their recorded stuff.. and what has happened to Kitsch? Haven't heard much about them lately?
"And I want a bike and a monkey and a friend for the monkey." - Ralph Wiggum

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

philipnz wrote: I think its funny when you listen to a station like the rock trying to promote guys like the finns and dobbyn these days. trying to hype up cd's of soppy acoustic ballads on a rock station. Frankly I cant stand any of it.
Yeah, I hate that too. They did it last year, all wanking on about how much they love NZ music month and how they are all big supporters of 'the local scene'. What a load of toss. Then they go and play stuff that has never seen the light of day before on their station, most of which is never rock, but very good nonetheless.

Apparently the NZ content is voluntarily at around 18% on radio (skewed, no doubt by bFM and Kiwi) and 34% in primetime on C4.