Shawn Lane

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Shawn Lane

Post by Tsuken »

Just watched most of his instructional video last night (courtesy of Gelato ;) ). I had only watched bits and pieces before; sat in slack-jawed wonderment for a few minutes and turned it off to look at something more achievable (like ... almost anything).

I watched almost the whole thing last night (flicked through a little bit as it was rather late), and I was basically sitting in slack-jawed awe for an hour or so. :shock:

This guy was like the John Coltrane of guitar. You just cannot believe what he's doing. There are bits where he plays really beautiful slow soulful stuff, and times when he's really producing the same sort of "sheets of sound" as 'Trane did on the sax. - All of it amazingly clear, and not repetitive at all; it doesn't sound like he's just running scales or exercises as is sometimes the case with really fast guys. He was just mind-boggling.

I now must buy his albums. 8)

http://www.tarsun.net/bio.htm

http://www.shawnlane.com
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

He scares me :shock:

So much technique, and also in that video seemed to be a pretty decent person (what is up with all these "nice" shredders, it's just not rock 'n' roll :wink: ). I am particularly disturbed by the way he played that mind boggling stuff whilst looking look he could be doing a rubiks cube at the same time since it was all so easy for him :roll:

Another amazing guitarist that died before his time...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

To me, that's the mark of a decent practitioner in any field - all the best make it look easy.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

It is indeed scary how easy he makes (made) it look :? I hate when he says on that vid: "this is really hard, I'll try to play it for you", and busts out an absolutely incredible lick with no apparent difficulty at all. :?

Watching him with the whammy has made me realise I should spend some time practising that. He was brilliant with it on the slow soulful stuff - and makes it seem a tad more realistically achievable than Jeff Beck, while still being somewhat similar.

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Tsuken - thanks for the link, a good read about a good musician I'd never heard of before.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

8) you're very welcome.

Unfortunately, his album "Power of Ten" is out of print. :evil: Amazon have 1 used one for sale - for $65 US grrrrrr :?

Here be bloggins

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

Tsuken just, downlo... err i mean borrow it from a good anonymous friend of your somewhere in cyberspace.
"I am the Black Wizard"