Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: SHIHAD

Post by Danger Mouse »

You won't hear Devilskin on Hauraki, they're far too hipster electronica these days.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Danger Mouse wrote:You won't hear Devilskin on Hauraki, they're far too hipster electronica these days.
that'll be why he's changing from national AND hauraki to the rock :moresarc: :wink: ...hopefully he can last through the chilli's, foo's, pearl jam long enough to actually hear something (not that I have ever heard devilskin played....well I've never made it through even to the foo's)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

willow13 wrote:...hopefully he can last through the chilli's, foo's, pearl jam long enough to actually hear something (not that I have ever heard devilskin played....well I've never made it through even to the foo's)
God, I think it was when The Rock started playing the Chilli's as every other song that I finally lost my reason and moved on to another channel for good

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

willow13 wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:
Really? Get what? If you're implying sour grapes because we're not opening for them on this tour, then you're wrong, the band split last Christmas, otherwise, I'm not sure of your point?
oh no you totally got my point
aliasceiza wrote:
That's a fare point, they have been gigging hard over the last few years, we've been playing with them since the Waihi battle of the bands, must be at least 3 years ago...doesn't change my previous points though!
well it should change your points really....you implied that they are only where they are because paul is the mouth piece pulling strings to get their name out there, yet xcaptx points out they have actually worked their asses off for 4 or 5 yrs building a fan base from the ground up.....If you can't see the flaws in your argument then my above post is even closer to the point than even I realised
I personally had never heard of them until about 4 weeks ago (Unlike you I don't listen to the axe attack but do listen to the morning rumble every now and then....and they have have only really talked about the band since the album dropped from what I have heard anyway)
You don't even have a point because it's based on an assumption about me that isn't true, and if you don't listen to the axe attack, then you also don't have a clue about the self promotional stuff I'm talking about, so not sure how you can comment on that either, but good for you though!

You like them, I don't, just nevermind.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

willow13 wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:You won't hear Devilskin on Hauraki, they're far too hipster electronica these days.
that'll be why he's changing from national AND hauraki to the rock :moresarc: :wink: ..
Ah yes, of course... :crazy:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

aliasceiza wrote: I've met them all, we opened for them on their last tour, and their attitude is dismal to say the least.
I'm really suprised at this statement. Don't know the rest of the band but I've known Paul for about 25 years and he's one of the absolute nicest guys I've ever met. Gave me my first guitar lessons when I was a teenager and did it on the cheap because I was on the dole and was massively encouraging of my (terrible) playing and writing.
aliasceiza wrote: Along with the averageness, it's the shameless self promosion a certain member gets away with...if he wasn't who he is, the band would be nothing...at least Shihad has earned every one of their fans, and deserves the credit people giv them!
aliasceiza wrote: But that is the sad part about it...if Paul Martin wasn't in the band, using his position and influence to give them the lift they're getting, they'd be nothing, so their success has nothing to do with their songs.
So Paul shouldn't do for his own band what he does for every other kiwi metal band out there? How many years has the Axe Attack been going and what's the % of NZ content? I've seen him interview and play kiwi bands that I know he's totally not a fan of because he thinks that anyone who has the guts to go and put themselves out there deserves a break.

Also if Devilskin's current success is totally down to his magical power and influence over the Rock and it's listeners being so great wouldn't the band he fronts (World War 4) have an equal profile? Devilskin isn't my favourite project of his that he's been involved in but there's obviously a lot of people out there who like and enjoy what they're doing.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

matman wrote:
aliasceiza wrote: I've met them all, we opened for them on their last tour, and their attitude is dismal to say the least.
I'm really suprised at this statement. Don't know the rest of the band but I've known Paul for about 25 years and he's one of the absolute nicest guys I've ever met. Gave me my first guitar lessons when I was a teenager and did it on the cheap because I was on the dole and was massively encouraging of my (terrible) playing and writing.
aliasceiza wrote: Along with the averageness, it's the shameless self promosion a certain member gets away with...if he wasn't who he is, the band would be nothing...at least Shihad has earned every one of their fans, and deserves the credit people giv them!
aliasceiza wrote: But that is the sad part about it...if Paul Martin wasn't in the band, using his position and influence to give them the lift they're getting, they'd be nothing, so their success has nothing to do with their songs.
So Paul shouldn't do for his own band what he does for every other kiwi metal band out there? How many years has the Axe Attack been going and what's the % of NZ content? I've seen him interview and play kiwi bands that I know he's totally not a fan of because he thinks that anyone who has the guts to go and put themselves out there deserves a break.

Also if Devilskin's current success is totally down to his magical power and influence over the Rock and it's listeners being so great wouldn't the band he fronts (World War 4) have an equal profile? Devilskin isn't my favourite project of his that he's been involved in but there's obviously a lot of people out there who like and enjoy what they're doing.
:rofl: ... what would you know ... :moresarc:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Just saying : Devilskin have played in Masterton twice now. Each time they sold 350 tickets and had a massive happy crowd. They must be doing something right.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Pastasauce wrote: Obviously sales charts are different.
Yeah those are calculated based on how much money the label is willing to pay to keep Miley on the top of the charts
sty wrote: Shihad are a funny band for me, when I arrived here and discovered The Rock I kept hearing them and how people thought they were "amaze balls" as the kids would say, didn't get it myself. Then I saw them at Southern Amp 2 at the old AMI Stadium here in CHCH and they were amazing and I got it, they're a live band first and foremost. Seeing them a few times after that at the town hall confirmed that for me and I've liked their stuff since then.
That's pretty much what anyone who's seen them says.
Anyone who tells me they don't like Shihad pretty much ALWAYS have then said they've never seen em live. Which is fair enough, why would you go watch a band if you dislike the songs that you've heard from them.

Shame about the Sabbath shows, I know they were super pumped about that tour, maybe an off night? I've seen em about 5/6 times now and it's just amazing every time
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Have listened to a bit of Devilskin in light of this track. Personally does nothing for me; as was mentioned earlier, it's a sound which is firmly rooted around the early 2000's to my ears. I stopped listening to that post-millenial metal over a decade ago, but I can totally see how they would do okay with a bogan demographic.

To me, the main appeal is that they've got a bird in front, which is something a bit different in a metal band (to a lesser degree, remember how popular Tadpole was back around the early 2000's) and she can actually do a few good things with her voice. Nothing I'd probably want to see myself, but they do the sound they do pretty solidly.

Not won over by new Shihad really though. Possibly will grown on me with time.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

The Scarecrow wrote:Have listened to a bit of Devilskin in light of this track. Personally does nothing for me; as was mentioned earlier, it's a sound which is firmly rooted around the early 2000's to my ears. I stopped listening to that post-millenial metal over a decade ago, but I can totally see how they would do okay with a bogan demographic (because the chick has a nice set of jugs).

To me, the main appeal is that they've got a bird in front (with a nice set of jugs), which is something a bit different in a metal band (to a lesser degree, remember how popular Tadpole was back around the early 2000's) and she can actually do a few good things with her voice (and a nice set of jugs). Nothing I'd probably want to see myself (besides a nice set of jugs), but they do the sound they do pretty solidly.

Not won over by new Shihad really though. Possibly will grown on me with time (but they'd do better with a nice set of jugs).
:mrgreen:
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

:mental:

Does anyone want to link to a pic of the jugs in question? I seem to be having trouble locating them.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

matman wrote:

The obvious difference between Devilskin and worldwar4 and BlackJack etc is the commercially marketable product that is Devilskin, so I'd take a punt and guess the rock management didn't allow the previous bands to be pushed so hard.

An assumption of course, and I didn't say Paul was magic, just that his position has given the band the lift that carried them to where they are, that's what I believe, you can disagree, you're allowed.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

This is pissing me off enormously. It all started when they got Havoc on board.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Radio sucks, until I can find a station that plays Beyonce and Lamb Of God I'm gonna struggle to listen to it!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.