Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: SHIHAD

Post by jeremyb »

Devilskin have a singer with big jugs and a short skirt which appeals to bogans, two burly guys with goatee's, also appeals to bogans as they mostly look like that, they play radio friendly rock and roll, another thing that appeals to bogans, the fact that theres a lot of bogans out there is maybe even better than being in a christian band for guarantee of success :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

willow13 wrote:
aliasceiza wrote: But that is the sad part about it...if Paul Martin wasn't in the band, using his position and influence to give them the lift they're getting, they'd be nothing, so their success has nothing to do with their songs.
so you seriously think people have bought the album and gone to see them live purely based on the fact its paul and the rock talk about them :?: I hope people are a bit more intelligent than that. Do you think the fact that shihad did an intereview on newstalk ZB isn't an attempt to use the radiostations influence (biggest listenership in auckland morning radio by far) to up awareness of their new album?? lets face it 85% of the people that listen to ZB in the morning would have little to no interest in shihad, how is that different to paul having his employer help push them ....... for me the 3 or 4 songs of devilskin I have heard I like a lot more than the 3 I have heard off the new shihad album
You've just describe the mechanics of pop music, forced upon the public until they think they like it!

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't pretend he wasn't in the band when he talks about them on his radio show, and he interviewed his own boy, again, like he wasn't part of the band, so it all just comes across as being a big pretence.

I've met them all, we opened for them on their last tour, and their attitude is dismal to say the least.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Being a bit out of touch with the NZ scene I googled this devilskin band.

God that sucks. Sounds like Linkin Park and Evanesence aborted a baby but the foetus mutated and managed to survive
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

aliasceiza wrote: It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't pretend he wasn't in the band when he talks about them on his radio show, and he interviewed his own boy, again, like he wasn't part of the band, so it all just comes across as being a big pretence.
Haha is that how it works on the show? I hope he interviews himself next!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

aliasceiza wrote:
I've met them all, we opened for them on their last tour, and their attitude is dismal to say the least.
are so now the truth comes to the fore .... I get it now thanks :roll:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

SHIHAD

Post by TmcB »

Had a listen - sounds like standard The Rock music, it does have that vibe of rock music that was popular a decade ago. I think the bogan crowd will be lapping it up - growls, tits, and beards with a sound they got familiar with in 2001.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Doesn't appeal to me and I'm a bogan. Some of us like bands because they make good music, not just because they have a hot woman singer, beards and paint by numbers metal riffs.

I don't like Devilskin because they are dated, cheesy and predictable, I don't care what they look like or how they got their airplay.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

TmcB wrote:growls, tits, and beards with a sound they got familiar with in 2001.
Jennie's grown a beard now? Jesus Christ!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

aliasceiza wrote:
willow13 wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:
Along with the averageness, it's the shameless self promosion a certain member gets away with...if he wasn't who he is, the band would be nothing...at least Shihad has earned every one of their fans, and deserves the credit people giv them!
I think paul martin has earned everything he's getting now......he's been doing the axe attack for 27yrs, been in numerous bands (knightshade, blackjack) and has been one of the biggest, actually probably the biggest supporter of NZ metal bands. Like him or not the guy has been out there doing his thing for decades, I for one respect that
But that is the sad part about it...if Paul Martin wasn't in the band, using his position and influence to give them the lift they're getting, they'd be nothing, so their success has nothing to do with their songs.
Completely disagree Here. Devilskin have been constantly gigging for 4 years or so. They are a very, very hard working band and have built their following up from the ground up, playing everything from regular bars in Hamilton to private parties all over the place. I've seen them do more shows than 90% of other bands in there genre, so good on them for their new found success.

The vocalist and the bassist were both in previous bands that did well in their genres, so they all know what they are doing. I'm not a big fan of the band by any means, but I respect their hard work.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

willow13 wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:
are so now the truth comes to the fore .... I get it now thanks :roll:
Really? Get what? If you're implying sour grapes because we're not opening for them on this tour, then you're wrong, the band split last Christmas, otherwise, I'm not sure of your point?

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Completely disagree Here. Devilskin have been constantly gigging for 4 years or so. They are a very, very hard working band and have built their following up from the ground up, playing everything from regular bars in Hamilton to private parties all over the place. I've seen them do more shows than 90% of other bands in there genre, so good on them for their new found success.

The vocalist and the bassist were both in previous bands that did well in their genres, so they all know what they are doing. I'm not a big fan of the band by any means, but I respect their hard work.[/quote]

That's a fare point, they have been gigging hard over the last few years, we've been playing with them since the Waihi battle of the bands, must be at least 3 years ago...doesn't change my previous points though!

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

Having volunteered at a radio station some years ago, one thing I learnt is that the "charts" are far from a reflection of what people really want to hear. That may factor in from time to time, but chart places are routinely assigned based on what the station wants to spin at that moment. So I wouldn't put too much credence in them.

Obviously sales charts are different.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

aliasceiza wrote:
Really? Get what? If you're implying sour grapes because we're not opening for them on this tour, then you're wrong, the band split last Christmas, otherwise, I'm not sure of your point?
oh no you totally got my point
aliasceiza wrote:
That's a fare point, they have been gigging hard over the last few years, we've been playing with them since the Waihi battle of the bands, must be at least 3 years ago...doesn't change my previous points though!
well it should change your points really....you implied that they are only where they are because paul is the mouth piece pulling strings to get their name out there, yet xcaptx points out they have actually worked their asses off for 4 or 5 yrs building a fan base from the ground up.....If you can't see the flaws in your argument then my above post is even closer to the point than even I realised
I personally had never heard of them until about 4 weeks ago (Unlike you I don't listen to the axe attack but do listen to the morning rumble every now and then....and they have have only really talked about the band since the album dropped from what I have heard anyway)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Well I've only heard of them / listened to them because of this thread. Sound pretty inoffensive to me, quite enjoyed it really, but then I quite enjoy a bit of evanescence too.

The shameless self promotion thing is a pretty hardline to get right in this country though. Doesn't sit well with the tall poppy cutter culture.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

back to Shihad...

bought the vinyl on spec yesterday, I'd only heard the first single/video. Played once, quite like it although not likely to be my fave as I'm into the poppier stuff like Beautiful Machine, probably play it on and off though like the new Korn album will get a regular listen.

Shihad are a funny band for me, when I arrived here and discovered The Rock I kept hearing them and how people thought they were "amaze balls" as the kids would say, didn't get it myself. Then I saw them at Southern Amp 2 at the old AMI Stadium here in CHCH and they were amazing and I got it, they're a live band first and foremost. Seeing them a few times after that at the town hall confirmed that for me and I've liked their stuff since then.

The only time I was completely disappointed with them was when they opened for Sabbath in Auckland last year. I'd been defending them to my mate who hates them and saying they're really a live band etc. and they just sucked on the night, terrible, I hated it. With reflection I wonder if they were awestruck by Black Sabbath and it got to them? or they tried too hard because it was Sabbath?

anyway, this album seems to be a bit above OK for me and I'll see if it floats or sinks on the listening pile.

Now I wonder if I can find a copy of Beautiful Machine or other old Shihad albums on vinyl at a good price.

Off to see if I can listen to the DevilSkin stuff next, or will I have to retune from National and Hauraki to The Rock in the car for a few days...