Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

SHIHAD

Post by jeremyb »

New album out tomorrow, bits I've heard so far sound amazeballs, buy it!!!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11304748
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: SHIHAD

Post by Danger Mouse »

I've been told by my missus "Don't fucking buy anything until the weekend!!!", which should mean I will own it shortly :D

From what I've heard of it so far, yes it is going to be real good. And real heavy.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I was with a few fine gentlemen yesterday evening and we were listening to choice cuts from the Shihad back-catalogue...

The last couple of albums have been pretty poppy and dare I say a bit meh?

Love the new single though, heavy and catchy, Shihad at their best.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

Anyone else see Ryan popping up in the background a couple of times?

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/n ... d=11304748

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

I can't believe a telecaster can make that sound. I've never really been a massive fan of them, but holy shit the guitars sound rad in that single.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I gotta say the bits I have heard so far haven't made me want to get the album, but then I have never really been a huge fan anyway
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

TmcB wrote: The last couple of albums have been pretty poppy and dare I say a bit meh?
Still rate the stuff up until The General Electric. Pacifier sucks IMO. Love Is The New Hate is a bit of a return to form, and I haven't really listened to much after that.

Rate Toogood to pieces though. Great frontman.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

cholera wrote:I can't believe a telecaster can make that sound. I've never really been a massive fan of them, but holy shit the guitars sound rad in that single.
Telecasters can do absolutely anything. :twisted:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

The Scarecrow wrote:
TmcB wrote: The last couple of albums have been pretty poppy and dare I say a bit meh?
Still rate the stuff up until The General Electric. Pacifier sucks IMO. Love Is The New Hate is a bit of a return to form, and I haven't really listened to much after that.

Rate Toogood to pieces though. Great frontman.
I agree with everything in this post, it's all bang on. I hadn't listened to Ignite and Beautiful Machine until recently and I really hadn't missed much.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

cholera wrote:I can't believe a telecaster can make that sound. I've never really been a massive fan of them, but holy shit the guitars sound rad in that single.
I believe it's in drop G or something crazy, telecasters are amazing!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I was gonna ask what's the tuning on that new single - quite bloody low slung I'd imagine.

If it's an indication of the new album then consider me interested (oldschool fan since Devolve with Killjoy being one of my alltime favourite highschool-era albums... but went off them during the Pacifier stint). Sounds like maybe Toogood rediscovered his old Jesus Lizard / Prong records - good sign.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Theres a stream of the whole album here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/10 ... album-FVEY it's all very political and some important messages in there, such a return to form, definitely brings back some killjoy memories for me!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

jeremyb wrote:
I believe it's in drop G or something crazy, telecasters are amazing!
The single is in B.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Looking forward to watching the full Sundae Sessions. I worked for them as guitar tech for that show. They played 7(?) songs from the new album, it was all the same tuning - everything down half a step, 6th string down to Ab.

Tuning the 6th string to Ab wasn't that much fun - you can't play normally while tuning, you have to hit like Jon, watch it bounce out of excursion and then wait for it to settle. I'm pretty used to that sort of thing with Lord Of Tigers, but I use a ridiculous 0.070 for the 6th string, whereas as they were using a 0.056, which flaps all over the place, comparatively.

For the two day rehearsal sessions, the room was cold - at showtime, air con off + bodies meant a whole other challenge as tuning stability steadily changed.

The combination of single coil pickups, (relatively) high gain and low tunings works really well IMO, particularly recorded - you get the bounce and twang of single coils, and plenty of definition on the low notes. And it's a nice change from the brown-paper-bag sound of a humbucker in the same set up that pervades a lot of heavy music.

I'm really proud of my friend Evan, who engineered the instrument tracking for the album - it's an awesome amalgam of his predilection for high gain amps, and their preference for Teles, Jazzmaster etc. For those interested - I believe the lion's share of the album is early-model Dual Rectifiers - one of which I embarked on a painful but satisfying re-build last year. 5150's also made a solid appearance. These are Evan's default amps and he knows how to record them.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Holy crap, what would you even call that tuning? the twin Ab's on the low end do sound quite awesome!