hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Re: Motley Crue in NZ

Post by hamo »

Objectively, Alice was the better act on the night, but I had a ball with Crue too. I was near the stage and there were a bunch of people around me that were really into it, but not too over the top, which helped me cut loose a bit. I think it could have been a less entertaining watch from the back.

Interestingly, I found Mick's solo spot really killed momentum of the gig. It's not that it was overly long or boring, but when they launched into Live Wire straight afterwards, a real updeat number, it took the people around me (and me too) about half the song or more to get going again. It's like people were a little bit dazed, and also had a chance to realise how knackered they were at that point.

Agree about the sound, super bass-heavy, for all the acts. Again, Alice was better in that regard, but even in some of his later songs it started going that way for him too.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Never really been into Alice Cooper but I actually enjoyed his show.
That's the key I think, he put on a good SHOW...cast of characters, stage props etc.
He must be getting up there age-wise but still has the pipes.
3 guitarists tho??? Not so sure that was necessary .

Motley was the reason I went.
Not too bad but wasn't totally blown away like I was by them 10 years ago.
A bit ho-hum in parts.
I think Vince Neil needs to focus on singing the words instead of heeeeeeeing his way thru the lyrics.
For as much as I love Mick Mars, I found his solo mere filler & noise.
Nikki Sixx on the other hand impressed me the most.
For a 57 year old, he was moving about the stage, up & over cabs like someone half his age.
Tommy Lee, solid performance, but lacking the showmanship of previous years.

Nowadays tho, I'm finding it harder to be enthused at concerts :?
Becoming bored rather quickly & looking at my watch far too often.

In fact the last show that actually dropped my jaw to the floor was Stereophonic's acoustic gig.
Kelly Jones, fucking legend.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah I get like that at most gigs nowadays, age and lethargy taking its toll. Never even bothered going to spandau last night ....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Bg wrote:Yeah I get like that at most gigs nowadays, age and lethargy taking its toll. Never even bothered going to spandau last night ....
Shame on you
:mental:

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Bg wrote:Yeah I get like that at most gigs nowadays, age and lethargy taking its toll. Never even bothered getting into the spandex last night ....
Fixed.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

WellyBlues wrote:
Bg wrote:Yeah I get like that at most gigs nowadays, age and lethargy taking its toll. Never even bothered getting into the spandex last night ....
Fixed.
Oh I did that...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by WellyBlues »

Bg wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:
Fixed.
Oh I did that...
Did the Captain help with that?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I'm about as uninterested in them now as 30 years ago.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Bg wrote:Never even bothered going to spandau last night ....
Why would anyone that's not a female of a certain age want to go to a Spandau Ballet gig?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Vince wrote:
Why would anyone that's not a female of a certain age want to go to a Spandau Ballet gig?
I know this much is true.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by WellyBlues »

Conway wrote:
Vince wrote:
I know this much is true.
Ha ha. Gold*

*which curiously(?) as a single only went Silver in the UK. so say's Wikipedia.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Vince wrote:
Men who like females of a certain age?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Well for the most part I am going to agree somewhat with what others have said in that

Alice cooper was great man ..... A "show" at its best. I think it helped (well me anyway) that it was a short set because i'm not really a fan so it didn't have time to get into music I wasn't aware of. Agree about "whats the point of 3 guitarists", but then he has been running 3 for years now. Maybe having all those people on stage makes him feel younger. Just to run through a few gear things
Ryan roxie was a gibson guy playing a les paul, a V , an explorer, a firebird and some kind of hollow body .... not a bad effort given they only played a dozen songs
nita was ibanez all the way .... was a bit disappointed in the top she wore, covered up to much :rofl:
tommy hendrickson pretty much played an SG the whole time (there might have been one change but I can't remember) ... one thing that confused me was when Alice said he was from auckland :eh: (did I hear that right ??) ... he's a yank and was in the band warlock
Saw them pushing some Blackstars off stage

Now The Crue
Highlights for me were
the setlist .... was almost perfect for me (they could have dropped smoking in the boys room for something like "afraid" imo) also I don't think anarchy was out of place given a) they have recorded a cover of it years ago and b) us middle aged guys need to at least "think" was are still rebels at heart if not in body any more so it was cool singing along :shifty:
Nikki Sixx .... he was at his rock star best and really came across as the leader of the band
Tommy Lee's drum kit ... the LED glowing through the frosted white shells looked super cool
The light show was pretty impressive
The asian dude next to us that was balling his eyes out during kickstart my heart :shock: He was just SO HAPPY, it was actually really cool to see (if not a "little" weird)

Lowlights
Vince neil ... my wife said he looked like homer simpson covered in grease :rofl: . He was clearly out of shape (even for him) and dropped about what seemed like 75% of the words at times. If the band really wanted to end on top I would have thought he would hit the gym and get in shape but obviously tequila is more important to him than actually being able to sing. What he did sing wasn't actually to bad though vocal wise
Mick Mars guitar wasn't loud enough at times where we were, so combine that with vince not sing words and there were a couple of occasions where I didn't know what the song was until the chorus
Tommy Lee was a bit of a let down. Not in a drumming sense because that was as awesome as its always been but from the point of view of I only knew he was there because of the awesome drumming. He wasn't really very interactive with the band or crowd at all. Normally he is really animated behind the kit but that didn't seem to be there on saturday

Overall I really enjoyed it ... BUT ... it was pretty obvious that this is a band on its last legs. I liken it to when you are leaving a job and give your 2 weeks notice. That first week is pretty much business as usual but when you hit that last week it is really tough to work to the high level you might want to. You just reach a point where you want to be gone from there...thats the feeling I got with them. It probably didn't help that this was the first night of this leg of the tour and they have had 3 months off

The one thing I took out of saturday night was sadly going to see bands has become a nostalgia thing for me which actually really bums me out...if they had come 20/25yrs ago in their prime It would have been so awesome but sadly they are aging and so am I. And sadly any gig that comes up in the future (not that I can think of many bands I'd want to see now) is going to be more of the same
Last edited by willow13 on Mon May 11, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Bang on with most of that willow. The "Tommy is from Auckland" thing was a bit of a joke, I think he does it whatever city they are in.

Ryan did his rock'n'roll carpark thing outside the gig beforehand, saw people getting their photo with him. Apparently Nita was doing it too, but I didn't see her, or find out about that til after the gig - if I'd rsvp'd to the Facebook thing I could have met her! Gutted.

With you on the nostalgia thing, with one caveat: going seated to gigs these days is a killer for me. I enjoyed the show twice as much because I went in the pit and threw myself around like an idiot. That actually helps elevate the experience for me, even if I am still paying for it a couple of days later...
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:
With you on the nostalgia thing, with one caveat: going seated to gigs these days is a killer for me. I enjoyed the show twice as much because I went in the pit and threw myself around like an idiot. That actually helps elevate the experience for me, even if I am still paying for it a couple of days later...
yeah I would say that would make a difference, but in a way thats the problem...these bands are all coming years after I was actually into them so the desire to get up front isn't really there. I really did love the show overall and was singing along all the way (and I have to admit part of me was a bit bummed not being on the floor banging my head)

And hey if Red Dragon Cartel ever make it down here (yeah right) I will be front and centre...well front and a little off to the right to be exact :rofl: :thumbup:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be