Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Re: "Free" Bassist, Andy Fraser - RIP

Post by Lawrence »

:( this guy was a seriously talented muso.....
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Free's sound was based as much on Fraser's lithe bass playing as it was on Kossoff's fine ear and restraint. Unlike a lot of Andy Fraser's fellow bass players of the early 70s, he played the bass all the way up the neck not just down by the nut. In between Kossoff's sparse tasteful playing, Fraser slid around all over the fretboard, playing unexpectedly energetic fills and melodies. Check out some of the videos of Free on YouTube and watch for Fraser playing the crap out of his bass.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I loved Andy Fraser. He was one of two players that showed me, through their records, that there really was something to bass.

I don't know how many thousands of times I listened to the Free Live album over the years, and that upward run during the Mr Big solo... it's like the Loch Ness Monster stretching its back and shaking off the water. Strong sinewy lines, fantastic, graceful playing... gentle, delicate and yet powerful. Big round tone from that EB. His playing had these huge shoulders that carried the rest of the sound. Wonderful player.

And basically, he put me onto something I've loved doing every single time I've done it, for over thirty years. Now that's a debt I owe him.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

People remember Free for their more rock blues riff based material but their repertoire was far wider and included some beautifully simple yet perfect songs many of which were instigated by Andy.. After Free he was in a band called Sharks and their debut album First Water features some great lead bass playing underpinned by Chris Spedding's consummate rhythm guitar.. I had the pleasure of hanging out with all these guys back in the early 70's when we all used to frequent Basing St Studios, then the home of Island Records..
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

awesome story :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.