Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Re: Lend me your ears

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

sirvill wrote:Recently I'm getting into the more doomy stoner rock stuff.
It is a cool nook to poke into I reckon. Some shite, but some gems too. I got into it when I was consciously looking to revitalise my interest in metal. A lot of the newer stuff doesn't really grab me - I find mathcore exhausting and I've never really taken to the throat singing thing. Lamb of God are a bit of an exception, huge fan of them. I like that doom/stoner really puts an emphasis on the heavy and isn't about playing stupidly fast and/or complicated stuff.

The drone thing is taking it way too far though. I do not get bands like Sunn 0)))... I kind of like that they exist, but I cannot listen to them...

Any bands you recommend?

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

For me Trouble are great at to give a listen too
:mental:

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
sirvill wrote:Recently I'm getting into the more doomy stoner rock stuff.
It is a cool nook to poke into I reckon. Some shite, but some gems too. I got into it when I was consciously looking to revitalise my interest in metal. A lot of the newer stuff doesn't really grab me - I find mathcore exhausting and I've never really taken to the throat singing thing. Lamb of God are a bit of an exception, huge fan of them. I like that doom/stoner really puts an emphasis on the heavy and isn't about playing stupidly fast and/or complicated stuff.

The drone thing is taking it way too far though. I do not get bands like Sunn 0)))... I kind of like that they exist, but I cannot listen to them...

Any bands you recommend?
Well, not sure if you've heard of this band out of the UK, Black Sab something. No-one's done doom or stoner better...

I've just been getting a bit more into stoner stuff. Been hooning some Orange Goblin, Sasquash, Truckfighters, Witchcraft, Church of Misery, Kylesa, Sleep and Earth.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Polar Bear wrote:
I've just been getting a bit more into stoner stuff. Been hooning some Orange Goblin, Sasquash, Truckfighters, Witchcraft, Church of Misery, Kylesa, Sleep and Earth.
If you like them you should check out: Durge, or Stench; maybe some Agnostic Ferret. :thumbup:

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Molly wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:
If you like them you should check out: Durge, or Stench; maybe some Agnostic Ferret. :thumbup:
:lol: Quite like Agnostic Ferret as a name...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
:lol: Quite like Agnostic Ferret as a name...
I made that up then went off and discovered an online band name generator. Far funnier examples.

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

The more accessible end is of course Queens of the Stone Age (which are kinda past stoner rock now really).

Also loving "The Sword", Freya is a beast of a track.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Ooops, edit...
Vince wrote:OMG, we can actually say "Eric Clapton" now?

And "gold", too?
Oh, is there a Clapton meme? Is this a personal pet hate of BG's? :?

Really? I mean, like I say, anything post-rehab is fucking awful, but Cream? Bluesbreakers? He's not god and never was, but come on, he could play, right...right?

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I think my musical progression went:

Whatever pop of the late 70's early 80's, until life changed for good hearing Iron Maiden on the top 40 one night. Then any metal of any kind whatsoever, Metallica (first three only), Guitar Hero stuff (Satch, Vai etc), Grunge, NZ Bands (Bailter Space, 3Ds, Loves Ugly Children) then off to the UK for a diversion away from guitar sounds to Trance/Hard House, then back into Radiohead, Tool, NIN, APC, then back in time to Jesus & Mary Chain, Stone Roses, Joy Division, The Cure. Spent some time listening to guys like Drive By Truckers, Gillian Welch, country-ish stuff. Few years back got into the Black Angels and other psych bands along with Sigur Ros, and a couple of years ago started listening to stoner stuff, Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard and what have you. Recent times enjoying the post-rock sounds.

Playing wise, sort of followed the above. High School & Uni I played in bands, usually quite varied and influenced by the trends of the times (funnily enough). When I left for the UK I left my guitar behind, and half way through my stay a bad snow boarding accident left my left hand paralysed for about 6 months, with around 18 months before I regained "normal" function. So a few years after that before I picked up the guitar again. Now just play for my own entertainment, and if I am brutally honest, enjoy the gear as much as the playing, I love what is available compared to back then, and just exploring new tones, new sounds. I do hope to find some people in the new year to jam with, sort of rough and ready blues based rock, slightly stoner-ish, would be just perfect!

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Ooops, edit...

And "gold", too?

Really? I mean, like I say, anything post-rehab is fucking awful, but Cream? Bluesbreakers? He's not god and never was, but come on, he could play, right...right?
Yes correct - Cream is awesome.

And I don't even mind post-Cream stuff, but again that's because it was baked into my DNA haha.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Ooops, edit...

And "gold", too?

Is that really Clapton though? It was Cream, just branded as Clapton. So not really Clapton.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

sirvill wrote:The more accessible end is of course Queens of the Stone Age (which are kinda past stoner rock now really).

Also loving "The Sword", Freya is a beast of a track.
Kyuss is certainly in there. But I do think Josh went his own way with QOTSA. (Making up my own arbitrary genre borders here!)

As for The Sword... I checked them out in my initial stoner explorations and I found myself thinking - so close, but there is something a little too slick about them. But having said that, I'm listening to Freya now, and yeah, it totally rules! So I suspect I need to rethink my initial impressions. Thanks!

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

HackSaw wrote:I do hope to find some people in the new year to jam with, sort of rough and ready blues based rock, slightly stoner-ish, would be just perfect!
Shame you're not in Wellington! Or I'm not in Auck... no wait :sick: (kidding!) That is totally what I'm looking for...

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

Yeah me too!

Emphasis on the rough would be even better given my lack of chops :p

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
HackSaw wrote:I do hope to find some people in the new year to jam with, sort of rough and ready blues based rock, slightly stoner-ish, would be just perfect!
Shame you're not in Wellington! Or I'm not in Auck... no wait :sick: (kidding!) That is totally what I'm looking for...
If only some other LP weilding arsehole was into that...