So you think you know how to use your pedalboard, huh?

An area to discuss erm... musicians?

Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: So you think you know how to use your pedalboard, huh?

Post by Bg »

Conway wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Ive tended to be a bit negative about him as a person based on his horrific attempt to incite violence against the police....hopefully he has matured a bit.
Are we talking about Dave Dobbyn now?
I always thought that was what music was for? sadly people then grow up and their ideals change and then music is just a background to their commuter trip while playing farmanimalville
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Slowy wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote: Also, using guitars to create songs from scratch is hardly anything new, so it's impressive, yet also not impressive.
Seems a bit harsh, DM. :think: How does this modified version stand up?
:D
Yes possibly a bit harsh. I certainly didn't mean any offence to your fine self as the OP, so apologies if I have (crappy day of dealing with idiots possibly influencing my posting mood).

I bought a looper pedal a few years ago and did a big trawl of you tube for inspiration, there is some incredible stuff out there. So much so that my pedal pretty much stayed in its box, it was demotivating, if anything...

I guess I've been a little over-exposed to the sampling and looper stuff, plus with my dislike of that style of music just made it really hard for me to listen to. But then I'm into metal, I'm supposed to be a judgemental dick :D
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Doc Murray »

this flys higher than john keys flag inspiring stuff

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote: Also, using guitars to create songs from scratch is hardly anything new, so it's impressive, yet also not impressive.
Seems a bit harsh, DM. :think: How does this modified version stand up?
:D
Yes possibly a bit harsh. I certainly didn't mean any offence to your fine self as the OP, so apologies if I have (crappy day of dealing with idiots possibly influencing my posting mood).

I bought a looper pedal a few years ago and did a big trawl of you tube for inspiration, there is some incredible stuff out there. So much so that my pedal pretty much stayed in its box, it was demotivating, if anything...

I guess I've been a little over-exposed to the sampling and looper stuff, plus with my dislike of that style of music just made it really hard for me to listen to. But then I'm into metal, I'm supposed to be a judgemental dick :D
Nah Mate. The problem with this form of communication is the limited context. I wasn't calling you that hard at all. No offence and no apologies necessary. :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

if anything, the sample he used was a little cliché. I would have liked to hear something more original or culturally closer to NZ sensibilities.
here is a short rhyme I wrote from the inspiration:

the adoption of American culture
comes not from the people
but from MK Ultra
its a done deal fail
acting up king hit
waiting for jail
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

Good to see a NZ musician working hard and enjoying the hard work of creating art.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

love it, but then I'm a big BBQ reggae fan.

Quote enjoy the way he uses delay on his vocals too, very cool.

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

Lawrence wrote: Ive tended to be a bit negative about him as a person based on his horrific attempt to incite violence against the police....hopefully he has matured a bit.
As a person? Have you met him? I've played a few gigs with him and he has always conducted himself in a kind, thoughtful, down to earth manner. I've played with many other NZ artists that do not act that way. From what I read, he sang the song "Fuck the police". Is that really a crime? They sing John Lennon's Imagine in churches and no one bats an eyelid.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I don't like his music at all, but I fully support any artist to sing whatever they like. Anything less is censorship. And censorship can go get fucked.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I've met him and he's a nice guy. I'm completely against his singing of Fuck the Police though, NZ law enforcement don't need more trouble. He seems to be one of those guys who has a need to be super vocal about his left status. Not sure why, but there's a lot of people like that in the music scene

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

bbrunskill wrote:Not sure why, but there's a lot of people like that in the music scene
Maybe it's because there's a lot of shitty stuff happening outside the music scene?

Anyway, that's as far as I want to go. I don't want this thread to get political.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I get bored of BBQ reggae but I do like some of it if I'm in the mood. Salmonella Dub used to be one of my reference songs when trialling headphones.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

Vince wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:Not sure why, but there's a lot of people like that in the music scene
Maybe it's because there's a lot of shitty stuff happening outside the music scene?

Anyway, that's as far as I want to go. I don't want this thread to get political.
I would guess if he had been vocalising rightwing views that may limit his audience
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

mrmofo wrote: I would guess if he had been vocalising rightwing views that may limit his audience
Whatever you reckon, dude.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

that's what I reckon dude
Vince wrote: Whatever you reckon, dude.
Do you think NZ needs a right wing garden BBQ regge artist.

I thought the original comment was a little strange, the one about how he is political or seems to have a need to preach.

I don't believe you understood my comment